Epilogue 3: Honey I'm Home

Casey grins to herself as she steps out of the Uber. She can't believe she's doing this. Izzie will be sooo excited. She unloads her small suitcase, shuts the trunk and waves to the driver. She'll tip her extra for having to make her way through the sprawling gated community to get to their house. She makes her way up the winding driveway flanked by tall trees and bright green lawn until she gets to the large brick house. It still feels a little silly to Casey that she lives here, but Izzie had wanted it and had made a good case.

"I know the price tag is high," she'd said persuasively as they pored over the paperwork, "But there's room for us, Chloe, kids... and my grandma can live in the carriage house."

"You just described a 4 bedroom house," Casey had said skeptically, squinting at the photo of what seemed to her to be an ostentatious mansion, "This monstrosity has 6."

"Well- first of all, it's not a monstrosity," Izzie had replied, patiently, "It's a gorgeous, beautiful house. It's a fair price, and we can afford it. And Second- Casey, I need an office! I'll be working from home a lot. And we need a guest bedroom for when your parents visit, or Dylan or Gabby... or if the nanny sleeps over... Plus the driveway and garages are big enough for everyone's cars and... it's a great school district..."

Izzie had won of course. And she was so happy and cute organizing and decorating the place that Casey didn't really mind. Plus the community has a pool and a gym that she can use and a sidewalk that snakes through the immaculately manicured neighborhoods is actually really nice to run on. Casey's never cared much about money. Honestly she'd probably be just as happy in a house like the one she grew up in. But she knows how meaningful it is for Izzie to be able to afford this house, in this neighborhood. Not to mention her luxury car, their nanny, the house cleaners and the lawn service. Casey doesn't make a bad salary herself. She was in high demand when she finally retired from her track career and went into coaching. It was a change she'd been nervous about. But as it turns out she actually enjoys yelling orders at college athletes... and helping them develop their skill and talent, of course. In any case, Izzie is the bigger breadwinner, by far. She's a partner now at her firm, just like she planned. And as she climbed the ladder of success she brought her whole family, including Casey, with her, just like she planned. Gabby, Dylan and Chloe went to college thanks in part to Izzie's financial, emotional and logistical support. And Izzie's Grandma spends her days gardening, doing water aerobics, puttering around the kitchen or playing with her grandkids. Sure, Casey teases Izzie from time to time about the snooty neighborhood or the necessity of having a composting service, but mostly she's just really really proud of her. And happy that Izzie can finally enjoy all her hard work in the ways that are most meaningful for her.

Casey steps up onto the porch, noting that the house seems very quiet. Izzie's car is in the driveway so she knows she's home. Casey unlocks the door and slips inside, shutting it quietly behind her. She's been away for a week and a half, traveling with the team she coaches, and Izzie had been out of town for a week before that, meeting with clients on the west coast so they haven't seen each other in what feels like ages. She quietly sets her bags down in the spacious entryway and kicks her shoes off before padding toward the kitchen, following the sound of Izzie's voice. In the kitchen Izzie is moving around the large, marble topped island, scooping vegetables and meat into the crockpot while she talks on the phone, headphones in. She's wearing yoga pants that hug her rear and thighs and a fitted, zip up sweatshirt. She looks cute and casual in her ponytail and house slippers but her voice and demeanor are all business. She asks pointed questions about "deliverables" and "benchmarks" in a clipped, assertive tone and is clearly not impressed with the answers.

"Uh huh," she says firmly, "And why hasn't that been done yet?"

She measures some chicken broth into the pot while she listens to the response. Casey can only imagine the placating, intimidated ramblings of the person on the other end of the line. She sneaks up behind Izzie and, without warning, puts her hands on her hips and pulls their bodies against each other. Izzie shrieks, jumps and drops the handful of carrots she'd just chopped into the crockpot with a plop. She whips around to face Casey, wide eyed and confused. Then the tension melts from her face and she smiles, relieved but still slightly annoyed.