Chapter 34 - The Elia Dera Show

Ariel returned home late in the evening, exhausted and looking forward to a relaxing hot bath fragranced with her favourite lavender bath bomb.

While walking past the living room, she noticed that Andy, Rita, Mr and Mrs Johnson who were staying over for the week, sat together with eyes glued to the huge flatscreen TV on the wall in deep silence. Laughters and claps and that familiar male voice could be heard from its speakers.

"I wonder if he's going to say anything about Ariel," said Mrs Johnson.

"Who's gonna say what about me?" Ariel interrupted.

Everyone almost jumped in fright, for they were too focused on the screen to notice her.

"Erm...nothing," said Rita.

"Rita, lying is bad, remember?" reminded Andy.

"Tell me who," insisted Ariel.

"Leon Waltz," said Andy, snacking on a huge bowl of popcorn with anticipation. "He's on The Elia Dera Show!"

Ariel grimaced at the mention of Leon Waltz.

"Do you wanna watch it?" asked Mr Johnson.

"Dad!" Rita tried to hush him.

"It's okay. Not interested," Ariel replied in a tired voice.

She motioned towards the staircase when she heard Elia Dera suddenly mentioning her name.

Elia: Let's talk about one of your former lovers, I mean chef, Ariel Lee,

(audience laughs)

Turning around, Ariel found herself staring at the TV screen. She fidgeted with her fingers while her toes curled in and out in rising anxiety.

Leon looked healthier, flashing his trademark boyish smile with a relaxed, casual attitude. He sat with one leg across, facing Elia Dera who wore a baroque wig made out of white paper, with paper cuts of flowers, leaves and butterflies that nestled in between paper curls. How on earth could she balance that hideous headdress which she would only wear once? Her bright blue eyeshadow and bright red lips, along with her weird but matching blue, yellow and red lacy dress make her looked like she was the star of the show rather than Leon!

On the table between them laid some of Leon's skincare products and his latest album. It was part of his self-promotion on the show.

Leon: (Looks pleasantly surprised) Why? Am I not the star here?

(audience laughs)

Elia: Well, she replaced you as the face of Fujita sauces, so any hard feelings?

Leon: (Wipes his forehead with a sigh of relief) Phew! At least I don't have to eat those sauces each and every darn day anymore.

(audience laughs and claps)

Elia: Being in the same house for almost a year, I'm pretty you both have "bang bang"ed already?

Leon: (confused) "Bang bang"ed?

Elia: Not this bang bang (shapes hand into a gun), but the big BANG BANG (Elia hand gestures sex).

(audience laughs)

Disgusted, Ariel demanded Andy go to his room immediately.

"But Mum, I wanna watch!" he protested.

"This show is NOT for kids, so just go to your room!" Ariel raised her voice with a stern look.