Chapter 37 - Lost

Andy grinned to himself as he flew his drone over Yellowstone lake on the screen.

"Mum, mum! Come and see what I've got!" Andy cried out to his mother.

"I'm busy, darling. Show me later," Ariel replied from the kitchen. She was too focused on preparing the ingredients for dinner.

Andy sighed. As usual, mum's not interested.

"Oh yeah," he increased the speed of the drone as he manoeuvred it higher and further. It was exhilarating to watch the breathtaking view on the screen. Andy moved the stick on his black remote control to increase its speed further when he noticed a tall, large tree zooming in on the screen.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no!" He quickly forced the drone into a sharp manoeuvre but it was too late. The drone crashed into the tree upon impact and tumbled down, and the screen went black.

"My drone!" cried Andy. "Help! My drone's gone and I need help to find it!"

But no one was listening. Ariel was cooking, Hiroshi was taking a nap after a tiring attempt at fixing the tent up and Hiromi was too obsessed with her phone.

Knowing that he could not rely on the adults, Andy hurried to his self-balancing scooter and rushed out to look for his drone.

—————

"Wow, I can't wait to dive into this," Hiroshi woke up to the aromatic smell of grilled eggplants steaks with melted mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce, seaweed and cashew nut salad, and grilled teriyaki chicken sprinkled with sesame seeds and chopped scallions. His stomach was already rumbling with hunger.

"Andy, dinner time!" Ariel called out the third time as she sat down with Hiroshi and Hiromi.

While they waited for Andy, Hiromi could not take her hunger any longer, "Can I eat first? I'm hungry!"

"はい, どうぞ! (Hai, douzo! i.e Yes, go ahead!) My apologies for my son's delay," Ariel got embarrassed.

"Don't apologise for it. I think he's having too much fun to listen to your call," chuckled Hiroshi. "Shall we dig in?"

"Alright," Ariel shrugged.

The three of them clapped their hands together and said in unison, "いただきます! (Itadakimasu i.e I humbly receive (this meal))"

Hiroshi took a bite off his chicken, "美味しい (Oishii i.e Delicious)! What do you think, Hiromi?"

"As long as mine's not marinaded with another Fujita sauce," said Hiromi while she separated the fatty skin from her lemon herb grilled chicken with her fork and knife. "Ariel-san, please remember not to make my dish too fatty the next time."

"はい (Hai i.e Yes), I'll take note of that," said Ariel.

Hiromi continued watching TikTok videos while eating at the same time.

After a few bites of her food, Ariel wondered why Andy still had not returned. Usually, he would join in for meal times after his mother announced that food was ready. This was so unlike him.

"御免なさい (Gomennasai i.e I am sorry)!" Ariel got up and bowed. "Let me go get Andy. Andy? Andy!" She went out of the RV, frustrated at his non-response.

After a few minutes, Ariel got back into the RV, looking flustered and worried. She went out again and called out Andy's name repeatedly, only to return a few minutes later. Her face turned pale.

"Ariel, come join us," gestured Hiroshi. "Your food's getting cold."

"Have you guys seen Andy?" Ariel asked in an antsy voice.

"No," Hiroshi and Hiromi shook their heads.

"He's not outside either!"

Hiromi shrugged and resumed entertaining herself with her phone.

"Hey, calm down, I'm sure he's not that far off. Besides, he's a smart kid and he knows his way back," said Hiroshi.

"But this is unlike him. Andy will always tell me where he's heading to. And he doesn't even have a phone!"

Ariel panicked.

"I need to go look for him NOW!"

Noticing the severity of the situation, Hiroshi put down his fork and knife, and got up immediately, "I'll come with you. Hiromi, you stay put, okay?"

Hiromi nodded without looking up.

Hiroshi and Ariel unfolded their bicycles and cycled off to find Andy.

—————

Leon winced and groaned in pain.

He pressed the top of his head that felt sore and tender. He was lying on his side on the bike trail not far from a tall, giant tree and his bicycle had fallen along with him. He had a few minor bruises and cuts on his arm and leg where he fell on his side. A temple of his fake glasses had snapped off and his cap had fallen off too.

What a great way to start his solo holiday!

Carefully, he moved the bicycle away and picked himself up, sweeping off the dirt on his body.

"What's this?" Leon picked up a broken white drone that looked similar to the brand and model he bought for Andy. Pieces of broken propellor blades were scattered everywhere. A GoPro camera had detached from it but it still looked intact.

Whose drone was it?

Whosoever flew this wretched thing had hurt him badly and now, the injury on his head swelled into a small bump. Furious, Leon cursed whoever did this to him.

He was determined to find out the identity of the culprit and make him or her pay.