Chapter 36 - On to Yellowstone National Park

Hiroshi helped Ariel and Andy load their bags into the RV he rented. Instead of a premium one, Hiroshi chose a regular, non-Fujita RV which was just spacious. It would also do good not to attract unwanted attention. Andy also brought along his drone and his two-wheel self-balancing scooter. Tent equipment, a few foldable camping seats and four foldable bicycles for each person were also packed in the RV.

"Are you sure about this?" Ariel expressed her concern that there was no bodyguard present with them. "Won't your father be cross?"

"As long as we have our little disguises on and we don't dress flashy," said Hiroshi with sunglasses, a cap and plain-looking clothes, which Ariel wore the same. "Besides, we need our own space from them too, right? It's not like we're going to a paparazzi-infested area. I'm your next best bodyguard and you know I can protect you."

"You know I can also protect myself," Ariel teased with a smile. "Just as long as your dad doesn't have a go at me again."

"I'll make sure he won't," Hiroshi assured her.

Once Ariel and Andy settled in their seat, Ariel noticed a petite girl in her early 20s wearing a black D&G cap with its logo studded in diamonds. She wore a bright pink t-shirt, blue denim shorts and a pair of bright yellow hiking shoes. Her shoulder-length, choppy lob hair was coloured in sunflower blonde, and her bangs and the side-frames of her hair were dyed in bright pink. The fake, long fingernails on her hands revealed neon shades of different colours with intricate stars and glitter.

So much so for not dressing flashy.

With her wireless earbuds on, this young lady was too fixated on her phone to notice Ariel and Andy.

"Hello, Hiromi," Ariel greeted, but Hiromi was not listening.

"Hiromi-san, hello," Ariel went forward and lightly tapped her shoulder. "I'm Ariel Lee."

Hiromi lifted up her head to reveal her pretty face of huge doe eyes, small nose and heart-shaped lips. She looked doll-like with that typical Japanese "可愛い" (kawaii i.e cute) look, and she had full make-up on despite being on a camping trip. Hiromi was a world away from her brother who was not into being overly stylish or a show-off. Ariel, on the other hand, did not even bring her cosmetics with her and she was dressed as a plain Jane, a far cry from her stylish public image.

"Hi," Hiromi flashed a smile.

"We finally meet," said Ariel. "This is my son, Andy."

"Hi," Andy waved at Hiromi.

Hiromi nodded at him and resumed reading Instagram comments from her millions of followers on her phone, uninterested to engage in any further conversation.

Pursing her lips at Hiromi's aloof reaction, Ariel sat next to Hiroshi on the front seat.

"Sorry, my 妹 (imouto i.e little sister) is like that so pardon her," he whispered. "Usually she won't join me for such things cos you know, she hates dealing with anything associated with "getting dirty". But she agreed to join this trip after she broke up with her boyfriend of two years four months ago and she's still healing from the break-up, so I'm her support who's introducing her to a new lease of life."

"No worries," Ariel whispered back with an okay sign. "I understand."

Nodding with a smile, Hiroshi started the engine.

——————

Hiroshi parked the RV at a tranquil spot facing Yellowstone Lake at The Grant Village Campground of the Yellowstone National Park.

It was a sunny afternoon. The sound of tree leaves ruffling under the wind and birds singing could be heard.

The spot was breathtaking and calming with so many pine trees and fir trees all around. In some ways, the idyllic atmosphere reminded Ariel of the captivating nature where Leon's parents' mansion was situated. She took a deep breath and relished in the fresh, earthy pine fragrance that saturated the air.