Chapter 18 - Andy's Birthday

"Happy Birthday, Andy!" everyone clapped and congratulated as the birthday boy blew his candles with a beam.

Today, he turned 11.

Everyone from his former schoolmates to his mother's friends and their significant others, and his foster grandparents, who were Rita's parents were invited to celebrate. Hiroshi and Mr Fujita were included as well, but Mr Fujita was unable to come as he was in Singapore to serve as a guest speaker at one of the world's largest entrepreneurial conferences.

The theme of Andy's birthday was Lego, his all-time favourite toy. The house was decorated with Lego-themed items, from colourful streamers and balloons to large letter foil balloons that spelt out "HAPPY 11th BIRTHDAY, ANDY LEE!". Music from Lego movies played in the background, while the kids were entertained by a magician dressed in Lego mascot. Food was prepared by a reputable caterer that delivered a delicious variety served on silver platters.

Andy's birthday cake was the main highlight. It was the most astonishing cake than all the previous cakes he had in the past because, for the first time, his mother did not bake the cake. Not that the previous cakes she baked were bad, but because she could afford a more ambitious design from one of the country's top cake makers.

The cake resembled a huge Lego set, with the walls of the rectangular cake decorated to look like layers of multi-coloured Lego bricks. On top of the cake stood an impressive Lego-like playground that contained a mini carousel that could actually rotate, a see-saw, swings and a slide structure on sand made of coloured sugar, together with trees, rocks and flowers shaped from fondant. Above the landscape was an edible banner whose ends were held up by two waffle sticks that had Andy's name and birthday age printed in the iconic Lego font. Dozens of real Lego mini-figures were placed on the playground, more than enough for each kid present at the party to take home a piece.

Once the cake was cut, it revealed a rainbow layered cake with alternate fillings of chocolate buttermilk cream, looking extremely mouth-watering and matching perfectly with the colours of his birthday.

This was the most extravagant birthday he ever had.

His mother even bought him a new Lego set, which was bigger than all the other Lego toys she got for him before, although not as massive as the one Leon got for him last year.

"Make a wish," Ariel said to Andy. He closed his eyes for a while, hoping for the very thing he so yearned all his life. It was the same thing he wished at every birthday, but no one knew what it was except him. After he finished wishing, Andy opened his eyes and blew the candles enthusiastically.

"What did you wish for?" Ariel cheekily asked. "Is it the same wish?"

"You ask me that on every birthday and you know I can't tell, cos it's my secret," he replied. "I'll only let you know once it comes true."

"Alright, I respect that. Whatever you wish, I hope it'll come true, and then I'll finally know what it is."

He grinned, hoping for the same.

Ariel cut the large cake carefully and placed a Lego mini-figure on each slice according to the wishes of each kid. They could not wait to have their share of this exciting cake, including Camila's boyfriend, Ryan who had a sweet tooth and always looking forward to Ariel's desserts when she used to work for Leon.

"Here you are, Imogen," Ariel passed the little girl a cake with a female mini-figure in dark hair and a pink dress,

"This piece looks like you in princess dress," Imogen held up the tiny Lego piece between her fingers.

"Aw...how sweet," Rita cooed at Imogen's reaction with her hand on her heart.

"Is the prince coming?" Imogen asked. Ariel immediately knew who she was referring to and replied in a low voice, "Erm, no."