Chapter 41 - Campfire

The savoury aroma of grilled trout over the campfire was filling the night air under a star-lit sky.

Pieces of bell peppers, onions, lemon and rosemary were grilled together with the fish on a foldable grill that was placed over the fire. More food was layout on a huge tray, including fruit salad and marshmallows for dessert. A bottle of Fujita Teriyaki sauce bottle was right next to the tray.

The group sat in a circle around the campfire. Ariel and Hiroshi sat on the opposite side, while Leon sat between Andy and Hiromi, who sat so close to him that her thigh was touching his thigh. She was all over him like a bad rash, and each time Leon inched away, she inched even closer.

"Here you go," Ariel passed a plate of grilled trout to Leon. "Don't worry, yours is not grilled with teriyaki, just lemon and rosemary with peppers and onions."

"Thank you," Leon took the plate from her. Their eyes met and it still felt a tad awkward.

"You don't like teriyaki?" Hiromi asked.

"No," replied Leon as he helped himself with a bite of the grilled trout with its nice crispy outer skin. To taste her cooked food again felt like coming back home. The fact that Ariel still remembered his taste buds made him feel nostalgic about the time she was still his chef.

"Oh, so do I!" said Hiromi.

Hiroshi interrupted, "No you don't. You like teriyaki."

"Just not eating the same sauces every day from Fujita," Hiromi put her hands on her hips.

"Oh, I get what you mean," Leon added.

Hiromi flashed a wide grin. "See?" she said to her brother. "Ariel-san, get me the same as Leon's!"

"はい(Hai i.e yes)!" Ariel prepared the plate of trout for her.

Why is she cooking during her break? Leon did not like what he was observing.

"Asahi beer!" Hiromi grabbed an ice-cold bottle of Asahi beer from her brother and started drinking it.

"Would you like some, Leon?" Hiromi shoved the bottle to his face.

"No thanks," Leon gently pushed away the bottle. The sight and familiar smell of beer was beginning to bug him.

"Com'on, you're a good drinker. Surely, you can't refuse while we're having fun? Let's see who outdo each other," challenged Hiroshi.

"Oh, that would be fun!" clapped Hiromi.

Don't tempt me...don't you dare tempt me...

Leon was starting to feel uneasy.

"This will be better choice," Ariel passed Leon an opened bottle of ice-cold water.

"Oh, thank you," his eyes beamed with gratitude and relief, and he took a huge gulp of water. Did Ariel secretly know that he went to rehab? After all, she knew he had an alcoholic problem.

"水 (mizu i.e. water)?" Hiroshi noticed. "Ariel, get me water. I'll follow what Leon has."

"Sure," Ariel returned to the RV and reached for a bottle of ice-cold water in the fridge. She passed it to Hiromi.

Leon got irked at Hiromi's demanding attitude.

Who does she think she is? Ordering Ariel like a maid without a word of thanks!

He observed Ariel sitting right next to Hiroshi, chatting with him. They were not being touchy, not even holding hands. Maybe because he was here, so they did not dare act like a couple in front of him. But it still made no sense.