Chapter 67 - More Company

"Sky!" Andy looked through the window and was surprised to see the dog barking profusely at Paolo, the ice cream man who was trying to deliver some ice cream to their doorstep.

"Shoo, shoo!" Paolo stomped his foot repeatedly to scare the dog away but Sky kept growling and barking at him, taking occasional sniffs at him and ready to pounce.

Andy rushed out of the house and grabbed onto Sky's collar.

"Stop Sky, STOP!" 

Sky stopped barking but continued to flash her angry teeth at Paolo with a growl. It was so unlike friendly Sky to be this aggressive to anyone for no known reason.

"Oh, grazie, grazie (i.e thank you, thank you)!" Paolo thanked profusely in relief.

Rita dashed out of the house after hearing the loud commotion.

"Oh, hi Paolo!" Rita greeted excitedly. "Free ice cream again? This late in the evening? You don't have to, you know?" She observed the ice creams that had double scoops each, with generous toppings.

"Not for you, signora Rita. These happy ice creams are for your bodyguards."

"For our bodyguards?"

The bodyguards perked their ears at the mention and paid attention to their conversation.

While Rita and Paolo talked, Sky struggled out of Andy's hold and went to the ice cream truck for a sniff. Andy followed her out. As she sniffed, she pawed at the door of the truck, whining and pacing about.

"Silly Sky! You can't have ice cream," Andy found her odd behaviour comical.

"Really? Bodyguards Day?" Rita raised her brows in amusement.

"Yes! Bodyguards' Day! I just gave some to Mr Leon Waltz's bodyguards." Paolo thenleaned over and whispered, "He's never bought any of my ice creams, so why not I give some free ones, then at least I can boast that I serve Leon Waltz, right?"

Rita giggled along with him.

"I hope your chef friend is chilling well on her rest day today. Not everyone gets a break on a Monday. Not your bodyguards and definitely not Paolo."

"She's having a nap and I'm enjoying my off-day. That makes today our special day - mmm, Off Day, Break Day....oh what kind of day should I call it?"

"Energy Day," teased Paolo in his loud, jovial voice. "But I wanna celebrate Bodyguards' Day! Your bodyguards deserve a treat. I see them work so hard day in and day out. Always looking serious and stern." 

He mimicked their stony looks, causing Rita to laugh even more. 

"Paolo Rossi's happy ice cream will bring a smile out of their stony faces. When they're happy, you'll have happy workers who'll work harder for you. Don't you agree?"

Rita nodded, "Of course, of course!"

"Only for them. Don't steal their share, okay?" Paolo warned with a playful, stern look.

"Okay!" Rita flashed back an okay sign with a grin and took the ice creams from him, and served it the bodyguards who happily took their share.

Unbeknownst to them, Andy had chased after Sky after she ran to another direction.

———

Hiromi gained consciousness immediately when she felt cold water splashed at her face.

"Ahhh! 冷たい (tsumetai - i.e cold)!" she cried.

"Wakey wakey, Miss Kawaii (i.e cute)," said a female voice.

Hiromi's eyes widened when she saw an unfamiliar face before her. The woman smoked a cigarette in her hand and blew the smoke directly at her face, causing Hiromi to cough. She also noticed that she was in an unfamiliar place.