Chapter 60 - I won't give up

Back at home and inside the corporate office of Fujita Corporation, Ariel was so nervous before Mr Fujita that she hardly slept the night before.

Pictures of her and Leon sighted in Tokyo were making rounds on social media, including a TikTok video uploaded by a fan chasing them down the street was viewed and shared by millions. There were counter-narratives though, as the media also reported that Leon was spotted around the city at home. No one knew it was Brent standing in for him, but it did little to stamp out the rumours.

Mr Fujita was unimpressed and disappointed. Sitting next to him was his PR director.

"Explain to me what happened in Japan," Mr Fujita clasped his hands together on his desk. No longer was that usual fatherly expression visible on his face. It was deadpan and stern. Hiroshi sat next to her, looking solemn.

Ariel gave a low bow and swallowed hard, "Sumimasen, Fujita-san. I was-"

"She was with me," Hiroshi interrupted. Ariel was taken aback by Hiroshi's answer. "That lady is not her."

"You sure?" Mr Fujita replayed the video in his phone. "What about this man? Looks like Leon to me."

"Leon was never in Tokyo. The paparazzi had been photographed him here in the city and he had announced that on his social media that the news reported was false. Those two people were just celebrity lookalikes."

Ariel pursed her lips. Why was Hiroshi covering up for her?

Mr Fujita's stern countenance was replaced with relief, "I see." He turned to his PR director, "Release a statement to the press that this is a case of mistaken identity. All of you are dismissed."

Hiroshi and Ariel bowed to the grand boss and left the office. She followed Hiroshi from behind and they did not speak a word until they reached the car. While a bodyguard drove them on the way to Hinata restaurant, Ariel glanced at Hiroshi. He remained quiet and looked out through the car window.

She finally broke the silence, "Hiroshi-san?"

"Yes?" he answered without turning towards her.

"Why did you tell your father that?"

Hiroshi did not respond immediately. After a moment's hesitation, he replied, "If he knew the truth, he may fire you. Besides, I don't want him to keep interfering in personal matters."

Ariel sucked in her breath with a downcast face, "I'm so sorry."

Hiroshi finally faced her, "Next time, don't screw up again. I may not be able to save you after this. Am I clear?"

"はい !(Hai! i.e Yes!)," she bowed in gratitude, feeling relieved.

——-

The doorbell rang and Ariel saw Leon at the gate, waving and smiling at her with Sky held on a leash.

"That's fast," she said with an uneasy smile and opened the gate ajar.

"Yes! The day you flew off, I flew back too on a night flight home. Happy to see me?" he flashed raised eyebrows with a wide grin.

Ariel's face became crestfallen.

"Well, aren't you opening the gate for me? What's wrong?"

"I think we should not see each other anymore."

Leon's smile fizzled out, "What do you mean?"

"I'm sorry," she winced. "Please leave."

"What about Andy? Does that mean I can't see him anymore? Ariel, tell me what's going on."