Chapter 55 - The Red Story

"Another gift for you," said the waitress as she showed Ariel the latest delivery, a small box wrapped in a shiny pink wrapper with golden polka dots.

"Just leave it at my desk," said Ariel while she was looking through the work schedules for each worker for the following week. Receiving gifts from fans was common and this was just another one delivered to the restaurant. If she did not like the gifts, she would give them to her staff, her girl pals or donate them to the needy.

"By the way, someone insists on meeting you," the waitress added.

"Is it that Pan-Asian woman the last time?" Ariel was worried if it was Emily.

The waitress shook her head, "She's an old lady. Said you both worked in The Orient Treasure."

Han and Hong who overheard the conversation exchanged glances and went to Ariel.

Another old colleague? 

Ariel tried to recall any elderly woman who worked with her at The Orient Treasure, but no familiar face popped out. Was this some obsessed fan concocting up a story just to see her?

"I don't remember we had an elderly female colleague, do you?" Hong asked Han.

"Nope," Han shook his head. "Not in the last ten years working there."

"Neither do I," Ariel shook her head.

"Well, she insists on meeting you before making payment," said the waitress.

"She wants to meet us?" Han pointed at himself and Hong.

"No, just Ariel," the waitress clarified.

Not again! What was wrong with these people? Ariel knew after this, she'd have to come up with a regulation or plan to prevent these crazy fans from taking advantage of their restaurant! Letting out a deep breath, Ariel followed the waitress to the table of the said fan.

Ariel almost froze in her tracks at the familiar sight of the old lady in red.

She was spotted with more strands of grey and white in her neatly styled hair, but the signature looks of her red-rimmed glasses, bright red lipstick, red-coloured fingernails, and jade bangle still remained. The plump figure was wearing a colourful cheongsam with a dark red coat and a maroon hat.

"Madam Mary Yong, what a pleasant surprise," Ariel forced a smile and sat opposite her.

Madam Yong sipped on her hot green tea and looked at Ariel with that familiar grumpy face without a single smile. That protruding mole above her red lips stared back at her. Her former boss's eyes looked in the other direction and narrowed her eyes at Hong and Han through the circular window of the kitchen door, where both their faces gathered to peep at the surprise visitor. Upon noticing Madam Yong's intimidating gaze, the two men gasped and quickly slid off from view.

"So, this is the famous chef who left my restaurant for Leon Waltz, and who left him for Fujita and stole two of my workers," Madam Yong said curtly.

Ariel cleared her throat, "Well, if you hadn't threatened your workers with a pay cut for every imperfection they made or made unrealistic demands that are impossible to achieve, they won't feel the need to leave. And if they did, I wouldn't refuse to hire them, would I?"

The mole above Madam Yong's lips began to twitch. She was not her boss anymore, and Ariel felt bolder in facing this once terrifying woman.

"I'll admit I do wonder if I made a mistake of not promoting you as a chef. Your food's after all very tasty."

"I'm glad you realised," Ariel flashed a proud smile.

"I'm not here to fan-girl you. And don't think I don't know the nickname you people give me behind my back - Bloody Mary, mocking at me wearing red all the time."