CHAPTER FORTY-SIX

Alexa

I never heard the door open when he entered the bedroom or the floorboard creak when he walked to the bed. I smelt the alcohol on his breath when he kissed my cheek and his fingers in my hair when he smoothed my head, though.

He thought I was asleep. He scrutinised me in the darkness while guzzling beer until he stopped watching.

Now he stands back by the door, looking across the hall.

What did he want?

My eyes ripped open.

I see shadows on the wall.

I screamed.

"Mummy!" I cried, snatching the duvet over my head, hiding. "Please, Mummy! I don't like the dark. I hate the dark!"

"Alexa?" The bright light above blinded my eyes as my mother rushed into the bedroom. "What's wrong?" She drew me in for a tight hug, and I squeezed my arms around her waist. "Why are you crying, sweetie? What happened?"

"There was a monster in my room," I sobbed into her negligee. "I saw him, Mummy. He was watching me sleep."

Her thumbs swept tears from my cheeks. "Are you sure it wasn't a nightmare?"

"It was not a bad dream." I rubbed my eyes. "He was in here, Mummy. I heard him breathing."

"It's okay," she cooed, standing from the bed. "Just wait there." She fixed the loose hair roller irritating her forehead with trembling hands and warily walked to the wardrobe. Holding her breath, she reached for the handle and flung the door open, rattling the metal hangers, disturbing the ironed clothes. "See." A sigh of relief flew from her lips. "No one is in here."

I rested on my haunches. "What about under the bed?"

To pacify her alarmed daughter, she kneeled on the floor and peered under the bed. "I can only see hidden crisp packets."

My cheeks pinkened. "I ate those earlier."

Her perked eyebrow appeared from the side of the bed. "Rubbish belongs in the bin, Alexa."

"I know!" I huffed. "But you told me not to eat anymore, so I guess I was a little sneaky."

Mother's arms folded. "You need to get back to bed. Little girls need their beauty sleep."

"I cannot." My head shook violently. "What if he comes back?"

"I will beat him with a slipper."

I giggled. "He might steal it and beat you instead."

"Well, I should hope not." She helped me climb off the bed. "Well, alright. Follow me. I got something to show you."

My feet sunk into the carpet. I snatched Teddy off the wooden chair and chased mummy down the hall into her bedroom.

I stared at her messy bed. "Where is daddy?"

Mummy smiled. It was sad and did not reach her eyes. "He's working late tonight," she explained. "Now, where did I put it?" Opening the chest of drawers, she searched for whatever she was looking for. "I know I put it in here somewhere. Oh," she finds what she's looking for, "here it is." Draped from her slender fingers is something wreathed with delicate white feathers and beads. "I made it for you."

I was spellbound. "What is it, mummy?"

"It's a dreamcatcher, sweetie." She admired the hard work she put in to make such a beautiful, handcrafted gift. "What do you think?"