CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

I was face down on the most comfortable king-sized bed, basking in the masculine ambience of Liam's master bedroom

I was face down on the most comfortable king-sized bed, basking in the masculine ambience of Liam's master bedroom. His room had become a temporary safe place over the past week. It's dark as I never draw the curtains. I used the en-suite on occasion to freshen up, then returned to the safety of the comforters. I escaped reality in dreams. If I closed the door on life, I could pretend, for a short while, that Kathy never tried to kill me.

Moisture pooled in my eyes.

I could not ignore the gaping hole in my chest, though.

Kathy is dead.

Everyone hated my sister, so I cried alone.

I had never felt so lonely in my entire life.

***

Liam accommodated Chloe. He allowed her to stay in one of many guestrooms while I mourned in silence. I hear them argue quite often, especially at night. My friend despised Liam Warren and, judging by his short temper, the feeling is mutual. He never overstepped or took insults too far, which was uncharacteristic. He is renowned for haughty tactlessness, yet I imagine he kept a lid on disgruntlement for my benefit.

My friend sat on the wing chair earlier, explaining how Kathy followed her down the street the night she left to buy takeout and hit her over the head with a heavy object. My sister beat her into unconsciousness and left her bruised, battered body on the cold floor in the alleyway by the store.

Unable to condone Kathy's behaviour, I apologised for her cruel act of brutality, which Chloe countered as I was not responsible for my sister's viciousness.

Yet, I still love Kathy.

***

"Are you hungry?" Brad asked from the doorway. "I ordered pizza."

I shook my head.

"What about a drink?"

"I'm fine," I croaked, buried under the warm blanket. "Thank you, though."

He dithered by the threshold. "What about a drink? I am not good with the kettle, but I can ask that annoying roommate of yours to make tea or something."

I sighed into the pillow.

Brad closed the door.

***

Chloe cracked open the door this morning to tell me she had work.

I rolled over and fell back to sleep.

***

I heard Brad and Nate singing in the kitchen. They enraged Liam with their inharmonious vocals and infuriating saucepan drumming. Pulling the duvet over my head to drown them out, I overheard Chloe chastise them before Brad chased her down the hallway.

***

I sensed Liam's vigilance but never opened my eyes. Looming beside the bed while losing his suit, he undressed and barricaded himself in the bathroom. I listened to the water running as he showered and smelt his cologne when he fixed his appearance for work.