CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Alexa

It's six o'clock in the morning, and Josh's ingesting odoriferous sludge he bought from a nearby twenty-four-hour takeout as an alternative to sliced fruit and coffee. I don't know how he can stomach the amount of crap he eats or where he puts it. His body is insanely sculpted with minimal effort.

"Do you want some?" He shoved a tray of curry, cheese and chips in my face. "It's so good."

I dry-heaved.

He pulled a disgusted face. "You are such a dramatic bellend."

"You're a dramatic bellend." I chewed a pineapple stick. "How do you work it off?"

Forking stringy cheese onto his out trusted tongue, he licked sauce from his upper lip. "What's the question?"

"How does one melt body fat?"

He snorted. "One must exercise."

"You never eat healthy food." I double-checked for oncoming vehicles and crossed the road. "Gym junkie."

"High metabolism," he said without a degree of medical validation as we descended into the London Underground. "I do work-out, though. After smashing this bad boy in my face, I will hit the gym before I head home for some shut-eye. If you consider our dysfunctional sleep pattern, I don't eat much at all—not the required amount, anyhow."

I suppose he had a point. It would be a good day if I consumed two meals.

"Add sex to the mix." His eyebrows danced suggestively. "Yeah, I burn some mean calories when I nail birds. It's all those hip movements." He moseyed past commuters while hip thrusting, the tray of unhealthy fodder elevated above his head. "Did you see what I did there?"

"Josh," I said, trying not to laugh. "You looked constipated."

"Really, Alexa?" He deadpanned. "Constipated?"

"I blame the clenched backside."

"Well, I had to clench the arse to demonstrate intimate thrusting."

I snickered behind two hands. "What is intimate about dry humping thin air?"

"Whatever." He trashed the greasy chips, having lost his appetite. "The bottom line is I look good because I train hard. Hey, you could always join me. I am on the prowl for gym buddies."

I could think of nothing worse than jogging on a treadmill and lifting weights. "Maybe."

"That's the spirit."

"Go and catch the train." I dumped leftover fruit in the bin. "Mine is due any moment now."

"Are you sure?" He guzzled Lucozade. "I don't mind waiting."

We debate after every shift. At the halfway point, we argue about safety procedures and separate, not before Josh offers to be a bodyguard, though. "I will be fine." I ebbed away from him. "And do not be late tonight. I hate working when you're not with me."

Josh slapped a hand on his chest. "Oh, I could never let you suffer so wickedly."

I grinned at him. "Promise you will never leave me."

He outstretched his arms, accidentally striking someone in the face, and winced an insincere apology. "I promise I will never leave you!" he yelled, his stentorian voice gaining the awareness of others. "Just as long as you keep on swallowing!"

The majority of straphangers condemned me with critical eyes.

My mouth dropped open. "Too far, Josh!"