CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I nursed a mug of warm tea, the additional sugar unsuccessfully quelling twitchiness, and watched Chloe, who is on a mission to convince me into fleeing London, ransack the bedroom

I nursed a mug of warm tea, the additional sugar unsuccessfully quelling twitchiness, and watched Chloe, who is on a mission to convince me into fleeing London, ransack the bedroom. In fact, it's all she's harped on about since my eyes opened this morning.

"Then you get out of the shower, and that's it. Liam is gone. Alexa, I am terrified. You should not go to work tonight. We need to pack up and leave London. Maybe we can jump on a train, head to Wales and get a job on a farm or something. We can Milk cows." Chloe flung open the wardrobe doors, clutched heaps of clothes and tossed them into an overpacked suitcase. "What do you think?"

When I emerged from the bathroom last night, I changed into comfortable clothes. Primed for Liam's severe chastisement, I returned to the living room to face the consequences. Yet, I found nobody waiting upon entering the room. He left the building, leaving the front door wide open in a mental state of confusion and disorderliness.

Terrified or not, he and I had unfinished business.

Chloe perceived the conflict in my eyes, and her furious features softened. "Liam is a raging lunatic, Alexa. If I weren't such a pussy, I'd kill him myself."

Sipping lukewarm tea, I slouched against the cuddle chair, watching her haul clothes into an available case or travel bag. "Chloe, please stop. It means everything that you'd leave your life behind to run away with me. But I would never expect you to start again because of the mess I created."

"Alexa." Her backside dropped to the bed in defeat. "I am scared. You're taking on far too much with Warren. He's going to kill you. I can't lose you, Hon."

"That's not going to happen," I stated with an air of unassertiveness. "If Liam wanted me dead, I would already be in an unmarked grave with wild animals feasting on my rotten flesh." At least, that's what I keep telling myself. "Running away is not the answer. Besides, If Liam wanted to hurt me, he'd chase me to hell and back to do so."

In miserable quietness, Chloe wrestled Kathy's old scarf.

My eyebrows raised to add light humour to the dire situation. "Anyway, do you really want to sit on the floor milking cows?"

"No." Her lower lip jutted out. "But I'd rather milk cows than lose you."

"Chloe?" Leaving the mug on the windowsill, I sat on the bed beside her. "I'm not going anywhere." Our shoulders nudged. "You cannot get rid of me that easily."

"Liam likes you, right?" she asked, her voice teemed in hope. "Maybe he can overlook the small, minuscule, not overly bad white lie."

I smiled at her efforts. "Maybe."

"I need to figure this out." She massaged her temples with therapeutic fingertips. "Liam had a prime opportunity to react last night. If death is the punishment, why didn't he kill you there and then? What's the exact reason behind his vexation?" Her questions increased. "Did you tell him Kathy disappeared? Did you tell him that you only went to Club 11 to find answers? Did you, at least, explain the reason behind keeping Kathy a secret?"