CHAPTER FORTY

"Victims of modern slavery in Britain are five times greater than they were just six years ago

"Victims of modern slavery in Britain are five times greater than they were just six years ago. Law enforcement held out a colossal investigation after dawn, where they arrested nine men on suspicion of enslavement and human trafficking, including sexually exploited children."

Reginald appears on the big screen, the earpiece skewed on his ear. "This was a fantastic synergism," he said, too hyperexcitable to look at the cameraman. "The metropolitan police department takes all reports of modern slavery and sexual offences with extreme seriousness and is committed to prosecuting those who participate in this pernicious crime."

"Turn it off," I ordered, and Brad aimed the remote at the wall-mounted television. "Updates."

"It was a dive bar." Nate dropped an envelope onto my desk. "As speculated, they are an all-white supremacist hate group with Nazi's symbol as tattoos on their fists. We are dealing with brothers in arms if wars arise."

"Nate stayed in the car for me to scope the place first." Brad's backside perched onto the desk edge. "I ordered a drink, sat on a stool and acted like I was incognizant to surroundings, but I think those dickheads recognised me." He sucked his upper teeth, which caused a suction sound. "Before I left, I asked two guys if they knew the Albanian. Both men looked me in the eye and lied. Apparently, they never heard of him. I know you demanded hostilities, vituperation, and, I don't know, a human bonfire," he jerked a shoulder, "but I made a call. I walked out with my limbs intact and deliberated possibilities with Nate instead. After all, if their loyalty is with Bajramovic, it will take more than arm bending for them to capitulate."

"Sir, you are too impulsively incautious," Nate said, and my eyebrows jumped. "That is not to say that we don't trust your judgment. You're right. Inarguably, there is a connection between the Nazi party and the Albanian mafia." His arms folded. "However, I think it is within our best interest to hang fire and wait for an opportunity to snatch Bajramovic."

Having already conjured up a game plan, Brad nodded in agreement. "I suggest we hire an intelligencer to win over the Nazi brown-nosers and station agents within their vicinage to keep an eye on the beady little fuckers."

"In case Bajramovic decides to rear his head." Nate tore into a protein bar. "It will give us an advantageous position to attack and bring him in without any fuss from our racist hooligans."

"Well, that's if the intelligencer earns their favourable vote."

"Even that's improbable." Nate scratched his jaw. "It's worth a shot, though."

"Reginald's operation saved thirty-eight young women." My eyes revisited the turned-off television. "Some were not even ten years old. It is an emotional day for London. Partners welcome back their loved ones. Parents bring their children home to safety. Conversely, this sense of bereavement and overwhelming public display is incompatible with Flamur's dissatisfaction because he believes he is indomitable. He'd have ordered his henchman to prowl for prospects the second he lost the others. Who is next?" I mused, and both men stared blankly. "The teenage girl walking home from school. Perhaps the mischievous boy in the park who doesn't listen to his mother. He runs off and falls into the hands of a monster."