CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Christmas was a tradition I missed celebrating in my childhood

Christmas was a tradition I missed celebrating in my childhood. Back when confined to the squalid basement, I laid on the concrete most nights and envisioned which colourful trinkets I'd use to decorate the tree and, if given the opportunity, how many presents I'd buy for friends and loved ones. For the first time in a long time, I had the chance to make dreams come true with people who, unfortunately, I allowed to imprint on my heart.

Now, I cannot think of anything worse than festive jollification. Hell, I never liked eggnog, anyway.

"It was recently refurbished." The estate agent's heels clicked against the hardwood floor. "As you can see, it is decorated to an impeccable standard with a bright, spacious lounge and sumptuous furniture." She opened the balcony doors. "You have stunning views of the garden from here."

Chloe glanced into the kitchen. "Where does that door lead?"

The estate agent smiled. "The utility room."

My friend's eyebrows lifted. "Impressive."

"Parquet flooring." Her heeled foot tapped the floor. "Both bedrooms have spacious wardrobes."

"It's lovely."

"And expensive," Chloe said quietly. "Don't you think it's above our budget?"

Overhearing the one-way conversation, the woman stepped in. "It's the heart of Notting Hill."

After leaving the penthouse, I checked into a bed-and-breakfast with Chloe, and we have stayed there ever since. I am over laundrette service and meals-on-wheels. It's time for a fresh start. "Can you give us a moment, please?" I waited for the estate agent to give us some privacy and then turned to Chloe. "I think we should take it."

"Hon, I don't earn enough," she whispered behind her hand. "You are unemployed."

"I will pay twelve months in advance," I offered, and she sighed. "I have to use the compensation money, eventually. What better way to spend funds? It's a beautiful apartment. Plus, it's in a nice, safe area. In the meantime, I will find another job."

Chloe's fingers traced the floral-patterned wallpaper. "It's a little ostentatious."

I laughed airily. "I am sure the landlord won't mind if we redecorate."

"Well, it's only the bedrooms and the living room." Her eyes toured the room. "Everything else is stunning."

I concur. "So, shall we go for it?"

After a long pause, she squealed. "Yes. Let's do it."

"What's the verdict?" the estate agent asked.

"We'll take it," we said in unison.

I signed a twelve-month contract and received a set of keys six days later. Moving into our new home was hardly cumbersome. We had little possessions but an abundance of optimism.