CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I was on stag duty tonight

I was on stag duty tonight. Handsome middle-aged men occupied the reserved booth on one of Club 11's many designated platforms. The wild bachelors celebrated the groom's last night of freedom, and the demand for high-priced alcohol was a helluva lot higher than usual. Female employees complained about the lad's uproarious behaviour and lewdness, whereas I found them quite entertaining. Yes, occasionally, they throw around inappropriate comments, but their inebriated raucousness is harmless.

"Come on, lass." One guy tapped his thigh. "One naughty dance."

"Not my area of expertise, I'm afraid." I smiled, organising their shot glasses on the round table. "I can send someone else over if you wish?"

The best man grinned. "Aye, I'm only pulling your leg, lass." Extracting a fifty-pound note from his leather wallet, he forced it into my hand. "For being such a fun waitress."

I thanked him, tucked the note into my bra and headed back to the bar. I slid up to the sour-faced head barman. "Josh?"

He peered up from the phone. "Yeah?"

"Any luck on your lady friend?" I hoped the little stunt I pulled at the café helped him to achieve commitment. Jealousy is a massive factor in forcing someone's hand. I appreciate she's in a relationship, but stringing Josh along is unfair, so I regret nothing. "Well?"

He winced, slipping the phone into his trouser pocket. "We're not speaking."

I wilted on the spot. "Wasn't she jealous?"

"Oh, Perri was jealous, all right." His lips pursed. "She finished with me. As she cannot commit to anything other than sex, she said goodbye and wished me well in my new relationship."

I was tongue-tied. "I am so sorry."

"Don't be." He faked a smile. "It had to end, eventually. You just sped up the process."

I feel like crud. I didn't want him to lose the girl.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you." His voice lowered to a mere whisper. "Boss interrogated me about you."

"Me?" My stomach did that little tightening thing again. "Why?"

"Told me I was to stay away from you." He waited for Nate to walk past the bar before he added, "In all the years I have worked for Warren, he's never given me a set-two. I was fucking bricking it." Nervous laughter vibrated his chest. "I told him nothing was going on between us. I think he believed me, but I was kinda shocked."

"Why were you shocked? Liam doesn't like his employees dating each other." I rolled my eyes. "Except when it's him, of course."

He glared sharply. "That's fucking bullshit. I have been banging the backside of Natalie for years. Warren doesn't care."

"You're sleeping with Natalie?" My head fell on his chest. "You can do so much better, Josh."

"It's only sex, Alexa, so I don't care. Anyway, I found it mad that he didn't want me near you." His lips turn into a thin line. "I think the Boss has a little thing for you."