Chapter 9

Nick

It was Monday night & I was sitting on my couch, in the dark, a beer in my hand, racking my brain about the last several days. I was so confused & pissed off & annoyed & depressed. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point. The root of my confusion was Demi. I was getting so many mixed signals from her, it wasn't even funny. I mean, I have met girls who were fickle before, but Demi was on a whole new level. I took a swig of my beer, then leaned my head back on the couch. My mind went to that morning when I was in her office for my therapy session. The words came out of her mouth.... "I just don't think it's a good idea to see each other outside of our sessions." I couldn't even really respond to her because I was in such shock. Here, I thought her & I were heading somewhere, then all of the sudden she tells me this.

I finally did respond to her. I responded with a head nod as I got off the table. I didn't even look at her again as I got my stuff to leave. She sighed & explained further, "It's just that you almost kissed me & I can't cross that line, Nick. You're my client. Not to mention that I can't date a fighter. I just can't do it. You would understand if I told you..."

I cut her off, not wanting to hear her excuses. "I'll see you on Wednesday, Miss Lovato." I kept my tone even as I limped out of her office. I heard her say my name a few times as I walked down the hall, but her next client was on their way back, so I said nothing. I didn't even turn around to acknowledge her calling me. I was feeling all kinds of different emotions, most of all anger. I was angry at her & at myself. I was angry at her ex boyfriend who sent her flowers, even if I had no idea why. I was angry at Jay who was at least sleeping with Michelle. I couldn't even get Demi to kiss me. I was angry at everyone & everything.

I went to the gym right after my session to blow off some steam & I may have overdone it, since now I sat on the couch, hardly able to move. My legs mostly, because I hadn't had my cast off for very long, so my bad leg was still weaker than the rest of my body. It hadn't been worked out in months. As I stared at the ceiling of my house, I felt myself get angry again, thinking of the text I got from Demi as I was leaving the gym that afternoon.

"Nick, I hope you're not angry with me or feel like I led you on. I really hope you understand where I'm coming from. Maybe after your sessions are done, we can be friends outside of the office. Take care of that leg & don't overdo it. See you Wednesday!" Even her text was amazing, even though it just pissed me off more. I didn't respond to her, not really sure of what to say. I needed time to cool off & to figure out what I wanted to do at this point.

Jay came home minutes after I finished my beer, so I was on my way to the kitchen to get another one. "You look miserable." He commented.

I gave him a nod & a smirk, then kept going to the kitchen. I grabbed a beer & when I heard Jay clear his throat behind me, I handed it to him & grabbed another one for myself. I slammed the fridge door shut, then sighed as I leaned on the counter. Jay was watching me, waiting for me to unload on him. He knew me better than anyone. He knew when I was upset or angry & now as he chugged his beer, he was waiting for me to tell him what my problem was.

 He knew when I was upset or angry & now as he chugged his beer, he was waiting for me to tell him what my problem was