Chapter 15

Nick

I was waiting for her to respond to my plea, "Demi, we can do this. We can make this work. Please don't give up on us. Please fight!" I had said to her, then put my hand on top of my head as I took in a deep breath & held it, glancing down, briefly.

She sighed & shook her head. "I'm sorry, Nick. I can't fight for us. It's just not what I want in a relationship. I can't be with someone who lives in this violent world & I need to be respectful of Wilmer. He's still my step brother."

My head fell back as I dropped my hand. I swallowed before I looked back at her. "What if I gave it up?"

Demi scowled & made a face like I was crazy

Demi scowled & made a face like I was crazy. "It really wouldn't change anything because if you did actually give it up, you'd be miserable & resent me. But you already made it crystal clear that you'd never give it up for me." She crossed her arms on her chest.

I stared at her & figured she was probably right about everything she just said. I didn't really want to give up fighting, but I also knew that I was in love with her, even if I wasn't willing to admit it to anyone, especially her. "I guess that's it then. You don't want to be with me. You don't want to fight for us." I shrugged my shoulders & made a sound of disgust. "We don't have a fighting chance at a relationship then." I spun on my heel & left her office. She didn't chase after me. She didn't even call out my name. I was pretty sure all we'd ever be was friends. If we could even manage that, at this point.

I went to the gym to blow off some steam. I was mad at myself that I didn't try to explain myself to Demi. As I had been standing in her office, I figured it wouldn't make a difference. She had made up her mind & didn't want to hear my excuses anymore. As heartbreaking as it was, I had to accept that Demi & I were over. I was going to throw myself into training for this big fight. I was going to concentrate on getting stronger so I could kick Wilmer's ass.

I was deep into my rope conditioning, when I felt someone tap my shoulder

I was deep into my rope conditioning, when I felt someone tap my shoulder. I stopped moving my arms & looked up to see my dad standing there. I let go of the ropes & grabbed my water bottle off the floor to take a drink. "Jay tells me you & your PT broke up." Dad said as he crossed his arms to look down at me in the disapproving way he sometimes did.