Chapter 18

Demi

"I'm just curious. Would there have been anything I could have done, or said, that would have made you give up fighting for real?" I said after holding my breathe for a long minute.

I watched as Nick's forehead wrinkled, giving what I had just said, some serious thought. I saw a small smile start to emerge on his face, "I don't know. Maybe if you had told me you love me, I might have," he said as he lightly shrugged his shoulders, then turned around and headed down the hall. Before I turned around, I saw Wilmer's angry face flash in my head. I'd seen the look many times, while he was in the middle of training or was trying to look intimidating. I felt a shiver rumble through my body, but I shook it off & headed out to the arena. 

As I watched Nick walk quickly back through the crowd, and over to the cage, I went back to my seat. I started to replay our conversation in my head, and tried to process everything that had just happened. I knew that I loved Nick, but I was scared. Scared of the inevitable. Scared of where this could go, and what could happen if he was a fighter. The more I thought about everything, and watched Nick jumping around in the cage, getting ready to continue the fight, the more I quickly realized that not a minute could go by without telling him how I truly felt. He needed to know.

I quickly got up, out of my seat, and started to run up towards the cage

I quickly got up, out of my seat, and started to run up towards the cage. "Nick!" I shouted, hoping the ref wouldn't blow his whistle yet. After yelling his name a few times, and approaching the ring side, just about breathless, I saw Nick shift his head over in my direction. He looked a little confused. "I have to talk to you," I said in a panic.

"Uh... now? Can't it wait?" Nick asked as he glanced back at Wilmer, who was now watching us intensely, and then back at me.

I looked at Nick and shook my head, wildly. I stared at him, through the cage, not saying a word. I glanced over at Wilmer, and then back at Nick. My heart was racing, and I was trying to spit out the words. Suddenly the bell rang, and that meant the the fight was about to start. Looking at Nick, I opened my mouth to speak, " Nick! I love you!"I blurted out. Just then, a security guard grabbed me around my waist, and pulled me off the cage. I flailed my arms, and tried to get out of his tight grip. "Ok, Ok. I am going back to my seat," I said just as he finally let go, and guided me over towards the seats to my left.

As soon as I took my seat, I became instantly fixated on Nick and Wilmer. I watched as they stood there, in their stances, staring each other down. I was so anxious and nervous, I had to get up. I decided to stand in the aisle, and watch from here. I watched as Nick danced on his feet, to get the adrenaline moving, and Wilmer took one final last look at me, before focusing his attention on Nick. When Wilmer took his eyes off of me, he looked at Nick and started to bounce around. I watched as he leaned in and said something, which gave me an unpleasant feeling. Nick suddenly turned around and looked at me in shock. He looked hurt almost. What did Wilmer say? I quickly shifted my eyes at Wilmer, who was now smiling from ear to ear. Did he just tell him what I think he told him? I stood there, panicking. I had a million things running through my head right now, and I was starting to get concerned.