Chapter 1

Nick

I was bouncing on the balls of my feet, throwing punches into my brother, Jay's mitt covered hands, imagining my opponent's face. In less than an hour I was getting in the cage to fight Cub Swanson & one of us was coming out of the cage a winner. Whoever wins this fight tonight is on the card for the biggest fight in the MMA world, taking place four months from now, in Las Vegas. In the California MMA community, there are a series of fights, dwindling down the best fighters, to two, who go on to the Main Event, usually held in Las Vegas. The Main Event winner gets put on the UFC roster, catapulting them from the lowest tier to at least the second tier  of professional UFC fighters.  The winner also gets to sign a three year contract with the UFC, which is what every struggling fighter strives for, including me.

My name is Nick Jonas & I'm 23 years old, born & raised in Venice, California. I've been training to be a fighter since I could walk. My dad was a champion UFC fighter when he was my age, so I have been conditioned all my life to fight. In junior high & high school I was on the wrestling team & I was pretty good, even winning a few national titles. I boxed in my spare time, then after I graduated I started full on training to be the next UFC champion.

Today, I am fighting one of the toughest fighters in the MMA circuit. We are the last two standing, so to speak. We had both beat down all the men who stood in our way of the ultimate prize & now we were standing in each other's way of that prize. I had been studying Cub for weeks & I have been working even harder with my trainers. I was determined to beat him, so I would be one step closer to making my dream come true of being a famous professional UFC fighter.

My brother put his hands down & gave me a look that said he wanted to give me some brotherly advice. "You got this little brother. Your punches are hard as fuck, so if you hit him in the face, you'll do some serious damage. You have severe power behind your throws, I ain't worried. Not to mention those beautiful, sexy, killer legs that no one can survive." He let out a laugh, then grabbed my head, messing up my hat that was on my head backwards.

" He let out a laugh, then grabbed my head, messing up my hat that was on my head backwards

I straightened my hat as Jay put his hands back up. I started bouncing again, smirking at him, thanking him for the words of encouragement without actually saying it. I started hitting his hands again, until he was tired, then my buddy, Ryan, stepped in. Ryan, besides my brother, was a person I trusted more than anyone else. I've known him since I was in high school, when him & my brother were the big fighters at the time. They were best friends & have been ever since, so Ryan was like an older brother to me.

Ryan's girlfriend, Lisa, was standing nearby, watching me, throwing out words of encouragement. They've been together for almost three years, so she's like my sister. I envied Ryan sometimes. He turned his life around after he let some demons get hold of him & now he had a great girl standing in his corner, sometimes quite literally. I didn't have a girlfriend & I almost convinced myself that I didn't want one. I had a girlfriend in high school for over a year, but she couldn't handle the lifestyle, I was raised around, the one I wanted desperately to be a part of. She also moved to New York to pursue a career in dance, so that's the other reason we didn't stay together. Needless to say, I haven't had a girlfriend since. What I have had is fuck buddies or one night stands. For now, that's what suited me. I didn't need any distractions keeping me from my dream.