Chapter 13 - Strange As It Seems, She's Endless To Me

CHAPTER 13

Zayn's Perspective

I sat outside on topmost part of the roof, puffing out small clouds of smoke from my mouth. I watched as the suburb slowly came to life in the morning, people walking their dogs, children waving their parents off to work, the birds fluttering about as they shook the stiffness of sleep from their wings.

I let out another puff, resting my hand on my knee and flicking the bud off the end of my cigarette. I didn't want Amanda to ever see me smoking, fearing that she would just see me as a bad guy, just like Dan. I had kept it a secret from her and planned on continuing to do so since I didn't want her to see this side of me...the old me.

I had definitely changed since meeting her, but old habits run deep, and I don't see myself giving up smoking any time soon. My consumption of cigarettes had substantially lowered, only sneaking one in when I knew Amanda wouldn't catch me, but it was only a matter of time...

I put out the cigarette and flicked it off the roof, standing and stretching out. I scratched my stubbled chin and slowly made my way down the sloping roof, swinging off as easing myself through my bedroom window. My eyes locked onto Amanda's sleeping state, where she was laid peacefully in the centre of the bed wrapped around a pillow. The rising sun had thrown soft light onto her bare back, giving her skin a golden glow. Her brown hair was splayed across the white pillow and her peaceful face was rid of any frown lines that usually adorned her forehead.

I stepped closer to the bed and sat next to Amanda, softly swiping a stray hair of hers behind her ear. I traced my fingertips across her brow, caressing her cheek. Her plump, pink lips puckered at my touch and her long eyelashes fluttered on her cheeks before opening slightly to unmask her gorgeous green eyes.

Her lips tipped up at the corners, displaying her small smile. "Good morning beautiful." I whispered, settling down next to her and carefully pulling away the pillow she was clutching and replacing it with my own body. Her arms wrapped themselves around my neck and I pulled her hips to mine, my fingers tracing the soft skin that I found there.

Amanda lazily attached her lips to mine and I smiled, flicking my tongue against her bottom lip. She abruptly pulled away and touched her hand to her mouth with a small frown. "Zayn...you taste like smoke." I seized up as she quizzically looked at me, pulling away slowly. "I was, um, out on the roof and the chimney was letting out tons of smoke." I covered, my fingers scratching at my cheek.

"No Zayn, you taste like cigarette smoke. Don't lie, I would know." She spoke with a dead tone, eyes boring into mine. My gaze fluttered across her features, starting to worry as I noticed she was serious. "I-I was smoking on the roof..." I mumbled, making a point not to return her gaze. Amanda's silence pulled on my curiosity and I looked up to meet her piercing green eyes.

"Why didn't you want to tell me?" She spoke in a small voice, looking vulnerable. I lifted my hand to her face and brushed my thumb over her quivering lip. "I didn't want you to look at me as another bad guy, another Dan so to speak. I wanted to change for you-I HAVE changed for you. When I would just hit on girls before, all I do now is think about you. To think that I found you on the prowl for just a one night stand is the irony of the love that I feel for you now."

Her eyes swelled up with tears as she slowly smiled at me. "I KNOW you're not a bad guy Zayn, you just should've told me. I promise I wouldn't have minded." She whispered, knotting her fingers in my messy hair. I gripped her to me, letting her bury her head deep into my shoulder.

We lay there, me combing my fingers through Amanda's long hair as her breath hit my neck. "I've got a recoding in the studio today for our new album. Do you want to come along?" I asked her, pulling away so I could look at her. "The boys will all be there and Danielle and El will too, maybe we can introduce you." A grin spread a cross Amanda's face as she looked up at me. "I would love to come." She pecked my lips and got up out of the bed, leaving me cold from her absence.