Chapter 25; The Test

A/N: She's still wearing the mission suit in this :)

Psyche's POV

The drive to the tower was full of chatter. Two cars had come to pick us up. Happy Hogan was at the wheel of the one I was in. He narrated to Clint and I, all the times he ran over bad guys with his car, and saved Tony's ass. We laughed throughout the stories, and Tony kept denying them, his face flushed with embarrassment.

We reached the tower in half an hour, courtesy of New York traffic. Tony got out of the passengers seat first, and opened the door for me. I smiled at him and stepped out at the same time Steve, Bucky and Bruce stepped out of the car next to us.

A familiar looking man stepped out of the drivers seat, and my eyes widened as I recognized who it was. Colonel Rhodes. One of my heroes. His eyes landed on me, and he beamed widely as he approached me.

"Look at that, it's Psyche fricking Delvaux! You inspire me on a day to day basis, I can't believe you're standing here in front of me!" he exclaimed in a tone of awe. I internally squealed.

"Thank you very much, Colonel Rhodes! This is such an honor. You have always been a role model to me, and I never thought I'd be lucky enough to meet you!" I replied ecstatically.

"Oh please, call me Rhodey! We're friends, aren't we?"

His already wide grin grew, and in return, my cheeks flushed. An obvious sign of my nervousness and excitement. I didn't even realize that Steve had placed a gentle hand on my back and was guiding me to the door behind Clint, Happy, Tony, Bruce and Bucky, who were already nearing the large glass doors. I started to walk, but turned my head and gave Rhodey a light wave, he chuckled and waved back, getting in the car and starting it up as I got whisked away.

The moment we stepped through the doors of the tower, a warm blanket of air enveloped me. The scent of pine air freshener hung in the air, and mixed with the nutty scent that was the complimentary coffee of the lobby. Obviously, I had been here before. But only now did I take the time to appreciate the comforting atmosphere.

"You're back!!" A voice exclaimed. We all collectively turned to see a woman in a pencil skirt and white blouse with freckles and strawberry blonde hair making her way to us. She seemed relieved as she scanned over the group, looking over us all as if to make sure we were all in one piece. Her lips twitched upwards a bit as her eyes glazed over me.

"Hey Pep!" Tony was the first to make his greeting. Everybody else soon followed his lead, and I too, gave a smile and managed a hello.

"This is Psyche Delvaux," the billionaire gestured to me flamboyantly, and I suddenly felt very self conscious as the receptionist and a few other people in lobby looked my way. However, Pepper's kind eyes seem to put me at ease. Her demeanor was friendly and warm, she most likely wasn't an agent, and I was correct in my assumption.

"Sikes, this is Pepper Potts, she's my secretary" Tony finished introducing, and Pepper stuck out her hand, which I gratefully shook.

"We have to go and give a mission update at the base, but seeing as Psyche requires immediate attention... maybe it's best that Pepper should take her to the lab, then the penthouse," Steve, ever the thinker, voiced his opinion immediately.

Pepper nodded, "Mr Stark has already notified me of... the circumstances. Ms Delvaux is in good hands," she assured.

"Thanks Pep, we better get going then," Tony addressed the rest of our company. 

Bruce checked his watch, "I should head to the lab too, whenever you're ready Psyche, you can come along" he kindly informed me, adjusting his glasses before scurrying away.