Chapter 10; Tony Stark

Tony's POV

Sighing, I ran a hand through my messy hair as I peered at the holographic displays of chemical compounds before me. For some odd reason, I had trouble concentrating on my work, which often is never an issue for me. I couldn't pinpoint the exact cause of my distraction and it was bothering me to a certain extent.

Bruce who was in the lab with me happened to notice this. I noticed him curiously staring at me for a while and I turned to him, chuckling. "Take a picture, it'll last longer" I teased him, causing him to turn a deep red and let out a little giggle which I found absolutely adorable. He then proceeded to study me carefully with those sparkling brown eyes of his. "What's wrong?" he pried gently. I raised my eyebrows and tried to play it off cool by murmuring that I was fine but Bruce didn't seem to believe it. Luckily, he didn't inquire further, yet I noticed that the entire time he kept glancing at me and stuck close to me, noting my every move. I love my overly protective mates.

I tried to focus after my little conversation, but continued finding it difficult which absolutely baffled me, the stuff I was doing was high school chemistry, Peter could easily do it. I wish I could just get on with my work and do it right, it was so embarrassing every time I got a compound name wrong and Bruce had to correct it... after laughing at me of course.

Luckily, my assistant Pepper soon came to my rescue. She entered the lab and made her way over to me after shooting Bruce a smile and wishing him a good evening. "Pepperrr, what's up?" I greeted her, "Hey Tony" she replied, then proceeded to groan as her eyes darted over my Black Sabbath t-shirt and my linty black pants. I frowned and looked over to Bruce and saw that he was trying hard not to laugh at Pepper (who was now staring in horror at the oil smears on my face). "You forgot didn't you?" she accused, I was still frowning deeply and was super confused. Then it hit me. I'd forgotten the annual heroes association party.

"Shiiiiieeeeettttt" I drawled as Pepper looked at me in annoyance and Bruce simply looked amused. Soon enough though, I stopped feeling guilty for not remembering this event and instead annoyance flooded over me, "why can't Bruce or one of the others go?" I asked the redhead and my scientist mate looked over too, "Every hero organization and individuals are gonna be there, you know I get nervous around people!" Bruce protested, actually making a very valid point. Pepper nodded, "Exactly, besides everybody is busy, so you gotta go solo" she informed me, and I noticed her scrolling through the various Avengers' schedules on her tablet.

"Bruce needs to give a talk at Peter's university"

"Peter needs to attend Bruce's talk at his university"

"Natasha and Clint are doing overtime for Fury"

"Thor is still in Asgard and probably won't be back for a few days"

"Loki is in Hel with his sister doing god knows what"

"Steve and Bucky are visiting the howling commandos graves and it doesn't seem right to stop them"

"Sam is giving a motivational talk at Yale"

"The Maximoff twins are attending classes on how to control their powers"

"Stephen is currently at the Kamar-Taj"

After finishing up with this, Pepper proceeded to close her tablet and stared pointedly at me as did Bruce. I however, was still adamant, "How abou-" she immediately cut me off once more.

"T'Challa and Shuri are in Wakanda"

"Rhodey is visiting family and is therefore out of the state"

"Carol is currently offworld"

"Scott and Hope are on vacation in Germany"

She finally concluded, and both her and Bruce gave me those 'you better not disagree' looks, causing me to give in. "Fine" I mumbled, Pepper smiled and turned to go back the way she came, but not before reminding me to get dressed quickly or else she'd kick my ass. I decided to try my luck one last time, "BUT I DON'T WANNA GOOOO!!!" I whined childishly, causing my assistant to turn around, I expected a death glare  and a scolding, instead I got a smirking Pepper Potts, "You just don't want to go because the Bat guy is going to be there" she announced. My face flushed, and I saw Bruce smiling and nodding in agreement. I pouted, "He thinks he's richer than me..." I said quietly. Pepper just shook her head, sighed and finally entered the elevator, the doors slid shut and she was gone.