Part 1: Chapter 32

Chapter 32: Only 180 Seconds

The chatter from all the different students clashed, creating a steady hum in Chris's homeroom class. The period was designed for independent study and for students to get caught up on homework, assignments, etcetera. But everyone, including their teacher, knew that it just became social time. Dark arms crossed against his broad chest, Chris listened to a couple of his friends talking, laughing at all the appropriate times. But he found it hard to focus and kept looking over to the doorway. He was waiting for Ethan. Chris already saw his boyfriend this morning so he knew that Ethan would show up, but he wanted him here. Does it always take Ethan this long to come? Chris wondered for the thousandth time.

Carl eyed Chris with a raised brow, noticing how distant the black man was. Or more importantly how focused he was on the door. Carl's silent question was answered when Ethan entered the room, frowning softly at something on his phone.

"Ethan!"

Chris's sudden yell got the attention of more than just his boyfriend. Ethan's paler cheeks flushed a bit from the attention and he scurried over to Chris with a glare. The first thing he did, instead of greeting Chris, was smack him against the arm. Chris made a noise of complaint and pouted exaggeratedly while rubbing his arm.

"You ass! You really love to embarrass me don't you?" Ethan complained.

It was funny seeing their dynamic. While Chris was taller and a lot bigger than Ethan, he deflated at Ethan's anger, completely giving in to the shorter man.

"I'm sorry, it was an accident."

Chris threw his arms around Ethan, giving Ethan the difficult task of pretending like he was annoyed by the affection.

". . . I just missed you so much," Chris whispered into the crook of Ethan's neck.

"Ugh, get off me, you big oaf!" Ethan exclaimed, pulling away. "Fine! I forgive you."

Ethan tried to communicate through his eyes how much he appreciated Chris and wished they could have kept hugging. Chris sent him a small wink in return and Ethan had to bite his lip to keep his smile at bay.

As the period continued, Chris and Ethan eventually separated themselves from Chris's friends to get a bit of privacy. While they couldn't do anything they wanted, if they talked quietly, they should be able to say whatever they wanted. Ironically enough, their conversation wasn't very interesting or romantic. They just got caught up on how the other's day had been and talked about little things that came to mind. What made it different was that neither one of them was holding back. They didn't check their words or try to appear a certain way to the other to gain acceptance or avoid judgment. They simply existed, comfortable in the fact that who they are would be enough.

Chris's eyes flickered back and forth between Ethan's eyes and lips as he listened to him speak. He couldn't decide what was more interesting to watch, the movement of Ethan's lips forming the words or the emotion in Ethan's eyes as he said them. Then absentmindedly, as Chris had done a thousand times before, he reached over and held Ethan's hand.

Whatever Ethan had been saying was stopped when he trailed off, his gaze dropping to their connected hands. Chris's eyes widened and he moved to take his hand away.

"Shit, I'm sorry I forgot."

Ethan didn't let his hand get very far though, threading his fingers through Chris's easily as he'd done a thousand times before.

"I never told you to stop, did I?"

Ethan said, tightening his hold on Chris. Watching Ethan now, his cheeky smile and flirty glance fixated only on him, Chris decided.