Together We're Safe

I quietly open my bedroom door, I can hear a light snoring sound coming from the living room. Sighing lightly, I know what happened last night. He's come home unlucky which resulted in him coming into the house, banging all the doors looking for liquor. He's planked his sweaty hairy ass on the couch and drank his sorrows away. Slowly making my way down the stairs, I see the TV is on but muted. Rubbing the section on my face between my eyes, I urge myself to think about why my Dad wonders why the electricity goes down so much quicker at night time.

I lightly grab the remote for the TV and press the OFF button at the top, as quiet as I can, I put the remote back down on the table in front of my father who's out for the count. The empty can that stands in my Dad's right hand is leaning like the Tower of Pisa, so I softly pick that up and decide to bin it outside where the metal banging against metal won't make it a harsh sound and wake up my prick of a father.

I dare not place a blanket over him, he may not be a light sleeper but I don't want to change my luck and accidentally wake him up either.

Slowly wrapping my fingers around my car/house keys, holding my breath and lifting them slowly, I turn on my heel and unlock my phone to text my friend Laura.

"Give me a min, I'm leaving my house but my dad's asleep on the couch..." I press send and wait for her reply whilst I grab the handle and push down on it lightly, once I know the metal connector is inside the door itself I pull the door towards revealing the front of the house.

Slowly opening the door, I prey the door doesn't squeak.

Do I sneak out all the time? Yes, unfortunately, I do.

My phone vibrates, I check it and it's Laura replying with 'Good luck Ross'. I lock the phone and shove it into my pocket and close the door behind me, waiting for the gently 'click' of the metal piece, I push the key into the door and turn it very slowly. Once that is done, I vastly head for my car at the end of the lawn. My dad doesn't know I drive. I keep it away from the property lines, that way he can't park me inside where I can't drive away from the house.

It's easier for me.

My hand sits on my chest, waiting for my heartbeat to calm down, my anxiety climbs when I try to get out of the house when my dad is unlucky the night before. I mean, I am not in any way saying when my dad is lucky, my mornings are easier, they are about the same, the only difference is, sometimes he's upstairs in his bedroom and/or some woman is sneaking out to avoid argument conflict with my dreadful and unfair of a human being of a father.