Together We're Safe

Opening the driver's seat to my car, I throw my phone and whatever else is in my hand on the passenger seat for a second and get my seatbelt on. Once I put the key into the ignition. I grab my phone and text, Laura, back...

"Hey dude, I'm in the car, on my way to you" pressing send on that, I drop it onto the passenger seat and drive towards her house to pick her up. We literally meet up at the weekends to go out to get away from our abusive parents for the day.

I hate we have to leave our houses, but the only reason we both don't mind is that we get to spend time with each other.

As I drive towards Laura's place, I kept one thing on my mind...

In my head, it's better for us both. We can look after each other. I want to look after Laura. She's my best friend and I want to take her away from her abusive household.

I slow down as I come to Laura's property line, grabbing my phone from the seat, I send Laura another text.

"outside" Pressing send, I keep the engine running and take my shit away from the passenger seat so Laura can sit down. I watch her front door as she slowly closes it but still runs, it's then I see her mother walking vastly from the kitchen - it's then I know what to do. I don't even look for Laura to get in the car, as soon as I feel my car move from the motion, I set my foot down on the gas and we're are out of there in a split second.

"Nearly get caught?" With Laura catching her breath, she clips her seatbelt in and places her bag on the floor at her feet and we head on for the beach today.

"Yeah, nearly did. She was saying all sorts of shit and it really did anger me today. So, I am thankful you showed up when you did" She smiles at me and chuckles. The beach is only a few short moments.

"I want to talk to you about something, I think it would benefit us both" Laura looks at me with a Mona Lisa smile and nods.

Finding the farther parking spot at the beach, I park the car and turn off the engine for the now. Luckily enough for us today it's decent weather. I grabbed my phone from the dashboard and left the car, closing the door and waiting for Laura to get out before locking my car with my keys.

"Come on, let's get to our spot" She nods walking closer to my side, so I wrap my arm around her neck to her other shoulder keeping her close to me.

"This morning been rough on you Laura?" She nods and doesn't say much else.

Leading her to our little spot, I let her sit down for a moment, I open the camera on my phone and take a photo of the sea-side and the horizon. I like to keep photos of each day we're here because as we all know, the world changes everyday and we don't notice it.

"Are you going to sit down or what?" She chuckle lights whilst tugging at the rims of my shorts. I smile down at her, let myself fall to the Sandy ground.

"Well this day seems different, do you feel it too?!" I slowly nod because I still have that idea wondering my mind.

"Yes, because it's entirely not the same. I've got an idea in my head and I wanted to talk to you about it because I've thought of you when I came to the conclusion about this idea!" I see from a side glance, Laura glaring at me for spacing out the idea.

"Tell me or I'll find a crab and get it to bite you" we both look at each other for a moment and just burst out laughing.

"No but honestly. Tell me" I sigh, taking a moment to compose myself. I turn my body slightly so that I face Laura.

"Right. Hear me out okay?" She nods slightly bringing her knees to her chest. Moving her hair behind her left ear to be able to listen more clearly.

"We should pack what we really need and just move, we both love our parents — granted. But I want to move away from my Dad, I've been working during school hours for almost a year. I've saved like crazy and I know I can support us both. I've got the car. I just need my best friend to come with me because I need/want you to come with me..."

I wait for Laura to reply, her eyes pierce my soul for a moment. Almost like she's waiting for me to say it's a joke and I don't mean it.

"I'm being serious Laura. I want to take you & I away from here, get a little apartment at the other side of Cali..." I stop, take a breath and non-patiently wait for Laura to reply. Her face usually slowly goes into a smile, but right now, I think she is still waiting for me to say it's a joke.

"You know, you are the only person I'd something like that with, no one else. Let's do it" You'd think I'd be like 'let's go' because I got the answer I was wanting... but I think I was more shocked she agreed to it.

"Okay, awesome. How do you wanna do this? Do you wanna pack what you need and just go, or do you want me to find a place first then go?" Watching Laura's gaze change to the ocean view, I think to myself what would be better.

"Depends, do we mind possibly sleeping in the car for a couple of days, I'm worried if we wait, one of us will change our minds..." I can understand why she says that.

"I'm at the stage with my Dad, I can't take anymore. I've been thinking bout this idea for a little while to be fair Laur, I know you love your Mum... but I wanna take us both and go, I mean, honestly, we support each other on a daily basis anyway. Why not just live together.. you know?" She slowly nods agreeing with me.

"Would we get a 2-bed apartment?"