Together We're Safe

Laura takes my suitcase to the car, placing it into the seat behind the drivers side.

I turn the key in the door for quite possibly the last time, I contemplate on leaving a note but what's the point. He might be too drunk to read it once he returns.

"Ross... your stuffs in the car. I'll wait for you" I don't say anything. I take a second to take in what I'm about to do. This has been my family home since I was born and I'm only now leaving it with my best friend beside me.

I turn to head back to the car, when I see Laura standing right behind me.

"Damn dude. You gave me a fright" she says nothing but wraps her arms around my torso. I give her a squeeze because we love each other's hugs. They're like medicine when we're down.

"Let's go" I gently push Laura out of the hug but keep ahold of her waist until we get to the car. Allowing Laura to make her way to her side. I open my side and climb in.

Part of me wants to cry for what I'm about to leave behind, but a bigger part of knows I'm doing the right thing. We're both doing the right thing.

- - leaving south Cali

We're almost at the centra of Cali, it's almost 7pm as we both left our homes pretty late in the evening.

"Should we find a hotel for a bit?" Laura nods getting her phone out and researching nearby hotels.

"Are we going for cheap so we can stay longer and have enough time to look for an apartment?" Thinking about the possibilities ahead of us.

"Yeah, it'll be better. If we get cold. We'll just cuddle for a bit" she seemed a little hesitant at first but agreed after a few sensitive minutes.

"Will I find a pay at check in?" I nod, turn right onto a busy street, the place we need to be is still a fair distance from where we are! As I was heading for North Cali, to get away from South Cali entirely.

"Okay, I've found one. It's £30 a night if we paid today?" Calculating it in my head, it's affordable.

"Reserve it, where is it?" Waiting minutes for answer.

"Keep going straight for 10 minutes. I'll let you know when we're there" I nod, staying on the inside lane that allows drivers to drive straight for as long as needed.

-> 10 minutes later

"Ross, park up here. That's the place!" I looked at the building. It wasn't too shabby but it also definitely wasn't expensive or fancy looking either. But thankfully there was plenty of shops around.

Parking the car, I get out and immediately think to myself.

"Laura, is there anything valuable with you?" She immediately shakes her head.

"Only what's in the bags" the bags, we will need to take those with us.

"Grab them! I'm gonna lock the car" she nods closing the passenger side and opening the back one and grabs her bags. I follow suit and do the same.

As the car is fully parked, Laura & I walk back round the corner to the main entrance of the hotel.

Taking a quick glance around the place, I see a few shops that catch my attention.

"Let's go, let's get checked in!" We move inside as the clouds above us start to grow dark.

"Hello, hope your evening is well. Do you have reservation?" I look at the concierge, middle-aged man who looks like he cannot be arsed standing any longer.

"Yes, Marano reservation - different payment method" he nods smiling and starting typing away for about a minute before looking back to us.

"Can I how many days you'll be staying with us this evening?" Laur looks to me as she didn't know, I hardly did but I thought to be safe.

"14 days, we're moving but haven't found an apartment just yet"

"Ah, I see. Young couple then?" My best friend & I just look at each other and nod. No questions asked, no lies be told.

"Yeah!"

"Okay, well - I have a deal for you. There's a company across the road that are letting out apartments in the area, they aren't fantastic. But if you would like to stay here still, I'll charge you for a week and if you aren't lucky the first week, you can pay for the extended stay then, how's that?" I was surprised by the generous offer.

"Yes please! Thank you! Also, could you give me information on the renting agency?" He nods and continues to bring up the first week payment bill.

"That'll £160 please, that includes WiFi, AC, all channels, and full heating" he looks at us, with a mischievous smile.

"Thank you! Here's my card" I pass my card to Luke from what I can read on his name tag.

"Thank you... Mr Lynch" he swiped the card and happily hands it back to me. The hotel payment made a scratch to what I have saved.

I lean forward over the counter slightly.

"Excuse me Mr Luke, you aren't meant to do that are you?" Gesturing towards the price and the deal he just gave us.

"Enjoy your stay with us Mr Lynch!" He continues smile and passes me a piece of paper with a number on it.

"If they're not open tomorrow at 9am, this is the boss. Contact and make an arrangement with him — they'll open then!" I take the paper and nod.

"Thanks Sir" he nods going back to the computer and typing away on emails.

"Are we good now Ross?" I nod picking my stuff up and making our way to the lift.

"We're on the 4th floor, this place's lift better not break down!" Laura nods agreeing with me.

"I'm lazy and I don't like cardio" I laugh at the comment and wait for the lift to open up. Allowing us access a few seconds later, I press the (4) button and we just for it to land on level 4.