Together We're Safe

I've not heard anything shouting or anything being smashed, surely that's a good sign right?! My palms began to feel sweaty and that's not cool. I was getting more nervous for Laur by the second. I can't have sweaty hands, I'm the bloody driver.

I try to refrain from checking my phone every 10 seconds and it drives me insane. But one ding from it and it's in my hand within seconds.

It was a text message from Laur, she was almost packed, but her mum was growing suspicious of all the rustling in her room. Tells me to keep an ear out so I roll down her passenger window. My heart continues to beat out of my chest -- I just want her to get out of that house and get back in my car. I just want to get us both out of here.

It was then when I heard a loud smash, sounded like glass smashing against a wall or maybe off the floor? Unsure at the moment, I unbuckle myself in case I need to make a run in and rescue plan.

"DON'T EVER COME BACK HERE YOU LITTLE CUNT" Is what I could hear loud and clear along with the front door to the house opening before my very eyes. She had a suitcase and a backpack - I hope she grabbed the absolute essentials for bringing that mich luggage.

"DON'T WORRY, I WON'T" She slams the door behind her ass and almost runs back to the car. But just as she gets to the back seat door to put the bags inside, the front door opens again - that's when I nearly lose it.

"LAURA GET BACK HERE AND DON'T YOU LEAVE YOUR MOTHER" I look at Laura quickly and she has tears running down her cheeks. I slowly open the door - but Laura stops me by getting into the passenger seat.

"Drive, NOW!" Slamming the door shut once again and not even bothering with the seat belt. I press my foot on the gas and we're off at like 30MPH down the road, leaving Laura's verbally abusive mother behind, creating her own scene in that neighbourhood.

"Are you okay?" She slowly shakes her head.

"All I can say is, thank you for getting me out of there, I am not entirely sure I would've lasted much longer. Let's get your stuff and drive off into the California sunset" I nod smiling, I grab my Laur's hand and squeeze it tightly, we need to be safe together. We don't need our parents when we are both very independent on our own.

"Yeah, my place is just up the road here. My Dad might still be out for the count so-"

"Is there anything massive you need, or do you want me to give you a hand to get out of there faster... I know drunk abusive people can be pretty brutal" I think for a moment, wondering if that was the best idea.

"You know what, yeah. Sure. I wish I could've helped you though in that case" She shakes her head.

"Trust me, I needed to deal with my mother on my own, she nearly cut me open with a glass vase. It smashed above my head, I literally ducked within seconds of hitting my skull and knocking me out.

I sigh now understanding what the reason behind the smash was, I'm not happy it was aimed at my best friend, but I'm glad she avoided it.

"Well, I guess it was the best time for me to suggest this then" She nodded wiping away the lingering tears running down her cheeks.

"I can't apologise enough for what you went through, I should've just suggested starting over from scratch..."

"No no, Ross, it's okay. I am glad I grabbed what I did -- plus I grabbed my laptop for any future research, work research, college or whatever I may need it for... those aren't cheap" I chuckle knowing how correct she is.

"Good point, I need to grab my devices too. I can't afford to leave those behind and give my Dad more a reason to get drunk... because I know he'll sell those to get more booze. I ain't gonna give him that satisfaction" We both then came to realise, both of our single parents were fucked up. We only needed each other.