10. Rumors, Jealousy, & The Question

"Hey, Cole?"

"Hey, Cole?"

"Yeah?"

"Does Lilianna have a date for Homecoming?" Raven asks as we walk towards the locker rooms after practice.

Lilianna said that she heard Homecoming was next weekend. We have our Homecoming football game on Friday, then the dance on Saturday.

"Why?" I ask. Does he like her? Does he want to ask her out? Does he want to take her to Homecoming? What does he want with my girl?

"I heard that Chris wants to ask her to Homecoming."

Oh hell no.

Christian Paulson. He has had a thing for Lilianna since the fifth grade. Not that she ever realized it, I swear the girl will never accept the fact that she is gorgeous and people like her. It's infuriating.

Paulson may be capable of being affectionate, yet he never acts like it. Christian Paulson makes the term 'playboy' an understatement. He has fooled around with more than a couple girls this school year, and school started a month ago. I will not let my girl be his next victim.

"Nah, man. She has a date." Lie.

"Damn, whoever it is will have fun hitting that." I almost throw up my breakfast at that.

Before my mind can register what I am about to say, it slips out of my mouth. "Dude, I am standing right here."

"What? You are taking her to Homecoming?" He asks to clarify.

"Yeah." Lies, lies, lies.

The crazy part of it is how natural it felt telling Raven I was taking Lilianna to the dance. Weird.

"Good for you, man. I am glad you finally made a move. It has been clear to everyone but you and her that you both have been crazy for each other since the day you met." Wait what?

I want to ask him what he means by that, but I don't get the chance. He runs off before I can say another word.

Holy fuck... what did I just get myself into? What did I just get Lilianna into? Oh, God.
Well wait, how bad can this actually be?

I get to take my best friend who I happen to adore to Homecoming. Okay, maybe this isn't so bad.

*******

I contemplate it for hours. Do I ask Lily to Homecoming or admit to Raven and Chris I lied about taking her? No, admitting I lied would be a dick move.

And lying in the first place wasn't the dick move?

Maybe I am just doing it as a cover up for my slip up, or maybe I actually do want to take her to the dance. Maybe I don't want our friendship to be just platonic. The more I think about it, the more it becomes clear to me I am questioning more than just taking her to the dance as my date.