19. Innocence, Seventeen Candles, & "Happy Birthday, Baby!"

"So the plan is to take Colson out for a while then come back around 7 p

"So the plan is to take Colson out for a while then come back around 7 p.m. for the party?" I confirmed with Mrs. Miller.

Colson's seventeenth birthday was tomorrow, and his parents, my mom, the football team, and I were planning a surprise party for him.

It was a fine Saturday morning in the fall and Cole was at school watching the tape from the football game last night.

"That should work," I said looking at Jane, who sat across from me. Then, a thought came across my mind. "What am I going to do to keep Cole busy?"

A smile spreads across my mother's face. "Well you could take him down to the Hilton Hotel and-"

"Eww!! Mom, stop! You're corrupting me and my innocent mind," I screamed, covering my ears.

Jane, who sat next to my Mom, started bursting into a fit of laughter while my Mom went on and on talking about what I could do to pass the time with Cole at a hotel.

"Gracie," Jane said, calming my mother down, still on a laughing high. "Those activities will tire him out and make him want to go home."

I rolled my eyes at their playfulness. I swear when Colson's Mom and mine were together you'd think they'd have been friends since college.

"Great so now that we figured out sex with my boyfriend is out of the running- oh wait it never was in the running," I glare at my mother. "What are some actually helpful ways to occupy Cole?"

"Shopping?" Jane chirped up.

"Guys don't like shopping," I pointed out.

"But he does it anyway. I'm pretty sure you drag the birthday boy to the bookstore at least once a week, and I've never heard him complain once," my Mom points out.

"Maybe, I'll think of something," I say, trying to rack my brain for ways to entertain Colson for two hours.

Just then, the said birthday boy walks through the front door.

"Hi, Mom. Hi, Dad," he shouts then turns over his shoulder and spots me and my Mom. He walks towards me, then bends down to kiss me.

A girly, "Oooh" came from my Mom and his and it makes me smile into the kiss.

The kiss is chaste. It's quick and sweet but a swarm of butterflies still come alive in my stomach. Once we break apart, he turns and addresses my Mom.

"Hi, Ms. Welt," he says. Then he registers us all sitting at the dining room table without any food. "What are you guys doing here?"

All of a sudden I look at Mrs. Miller, who looks at my Mom, who looks at me.

Shit.

"Uhh-"

"Girl stuff," Mrs. Miller blurts.