11. The Letter, The Memories, & The Love

Dear Lilianna,

I originally got this book to read and annotate for you because you told me it was your favorite book. I know how much stress you have been under, and I wanted to do something for you that might bring a smile to that beautiful face of yours.

We have known each other for seven years. Seven years is a long time to get to know a person and grow with them. I think back to the little nine year olds who met each other on a summer afternoon seven years ago, and I smile. We have both grown so much in those years; we have grown together. There have been smiles, scars, scraped knees, tears, and mended souls.

I still remember the day you really opened up to me. That day when we were twelve. You cried in my arms for hours that night, explaining the traumatic childhood you had. I don't think I ever told you, but my heart broke that day. My heart broke for you and all I wanted to do was hold you close and keep you safe for eternity.

I know your past has led to your trust issues. I also know you trust me more than anyone, and I want to say thank you for that. Thank you for letting me into your life. Thank you for letting me into your heart. Thank you for the memories.

Lilianna, I don't think you see how important you are to me. I would do anything for you. Maybe it was fate, or luck, or the universe just simply being in our favor all those years ago, but I am so damn lucky I moved to this small town and met you. You brighten up my day, you make me smile, and you make my heart whole.

I am going to be completely honest with you, I may have accidentally told some guys on the football team I was taking you to Homecoming because I didn't want someone else taking you. Someone who wasn't me holding your hand. Someone who wasn't me holding you close, it hurts to imagine that.

However, I have been thinking a lot lately, about us and our friendship. Everything seems so natural when we are together, like everything in the world is right. I don't know when, I don't know how, but recently, something clicked inside me. Something made me realize that the line between platonic relationships and non-platonic relationships keeps getting thinner when it comes to us.

Love is scary, love is hard, love is difficult, love is tricky, you know that better than anyone else I know. You once told me you never wanted to get married or have kids because you didn't want to marry a man like your father. I am not your father, I hurt when you hurt, I smile when you smile. I will never hurt you Lilianna.

For the longest time I think we both tried to convince each other and ourselves we were just friends. But, I don't think we ever were. You have always been the most important person in my life, and whether you feel the same way or not, you will always be the most important person in my life.

To put it simply, I love you for your smiles, your scars, your heart, your soul. I love you for all that you are. That love is forever- nothing and nobody can ever break that love. Not in a million years. Never ever will my love for you die out. My love for you is infinite; forevermore.

As I was reading this book, I couldn't stop thinking about how similar we are to Bree and Nathan. The friendship, the rough past, the childhood friends.

I know you read to escape this world, as you feel this world will never be enough for you. And maybe that's true. But maybe someone can be enough for you, and maybe that someone can be me.

So, Lilianna Grace Welt, will you be the Bree Camden to my Nathan Donelson and be my date to Homecoming?

With Love,

Colson Kane Miller

P.S. I already asked your Mom if she would be okay if I took you to Homecoming because I know how much family means to you.

P.P.S. She said yes.

author's note!

word count: 722

...and i just raised my expectations by a ton.

dear boys,

this is what girls mean when we say we want a love letter. my boy cole could teach y'all a thing or two so take notes.

sincerely,

every girl ever

this isn't really a full chapter, but it is the letter cole left lily inside the annotated book. i almost started crying writing this. i feel like a proud mom! ah! look at my babies :')