13. Dress Shopping, Mother-Daughter Moments, & Because Of Him

"Mom!" I yell as I walk into our house and close and lock the front door behind me

"Yes Lily?" She asks as she comes into view, a knowing smile playing on her lips.

She knows. Well, duh! She gave Cole permission to take me to the dance.

"I am going to Homecoming with Cole!"

How do you say you are the luckiest girl in the world without saying you are the luckiest girl in the world?

"Oh, honey I am so happy for you," she says as she throws her arms around me to give me a bear hug.

I love hugs from my Mom. Well, I love hugs in general, but it is different when it is from your Mom. Hugs from my mom are like a warm blanket wrapped around a person who is freezing. They are comfort, affection, and heartfelt all rolled into one. That's how hugs are with Colson too...

"I'm really happy," I say once we pull away.

"I know you are. I know he makes you happier than anything. I know you two must be the stupidest people on the planet, too."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask, dumbfounded.

"Lilianna I wasn't born yesterday. Although you and Colson might have been if you really two can't see how much you care for each other. The way you two look at each other- I can't even put it in words. You look at him and your eyes light up. He looks at you and a smile appears on his face, it's magical. You can feel the sparks igniting from a mile away," she finishes.

He smiles when he looks at me? How did I never notice that?

"Mom, can we talk?"

"Yes," she says and we walk into the living room and sit down on our grey L- shaped couch.

"Do you remember when I was younger and I said I never wanted to get married or have a boyfriend?"

This topic is a heavy one for us. When I was younger, I dreamt of being in love. I wanted to marry a prince, (even though every girl does at six years old.) But nonetheless, I wanted to get married and have kids and be a happy family.

After I realized what a jerk my father was, all those dreams died. I didn't want to ever get a boyfriend, or get married, and I didn't want kids. I wanted to be single my whole life and have a dog or so to keep company.

Truth be told, I was scared. So, so, desperately scared that I would end up in the same position my mother did. I feared I would marry a man and he would be completely different after we were married. I didn't want to marry a narcissistic and go through my childhood again.

"Yes, I remember," she replies.

"It was because of Dad," I blurt out, starting to get teary eyed. "I didn't want to get into a relationship because I didn't trust anyone to not be like my dad. I lost all hope that there were good men out there. I was fearful of being in your position and reliving my childhood."