20. Saturday Studying, Sweet Kisses, & A Surprise That Could Hurt You

It was the Saturday after Colson's birthday

It was the Saturday after Colson's birthday. A few of his football teammates, and two of my Yearbook peers, him, and I had the same Calculus class. So, we were all at a local café studying (more like dying) for our test on Monday.

I take a sip of my iced matcha green tea latte and Cole rips off a piece of his ham and cheese croissant and looks at me, silently asking if I want the piece. I shake my head. He looks at me with a knowing look and I take the piece he ripped off and pop it in my mouth before he can say anything. When I finished the piece, I look at him and he looks pleased.

"Lovebirds!" Willow, a girl from my Yearbook class calls out, breaking me and Cole from our trance.

"Yeah?" I respond.

"This is precious studying time and you can't ruin it by making lovey dovey looks at each other every five minutes. Do you want a C on this test because you were too busy flirting to actually retain any information?" Willow says.

"Hey, I'd take a C if it meant having someone look at me the way they look at each other," Liam, a guy from Cole's football team said.

Hannah, another girl I'm in Yearbook with shoots a grape at Liam. "Hi, your girlfriend is sitting right here."

"Oh yeah, how are you babe?" Liam asks, playing around. Hannah just rolls her eyes.

Willow hands her copy of the study guide to Brady, a guy on the football team. "Here, ask someone at the group a question," she says to him.

"Lilianna, The edge of a cube is increasing at a rate of 8 cm/s. What is the rate of increase of its volume when the edge is 6 cm long? A. 512 cm³ /s? B. 864 cm³ /s? C. 24 cm³ /s? D. 216 cm³ /s?" Brady asks me.

I do the math in my head. For what it's worth, I have been pretty good at calculus so far. Not that I like it. Trust me, I despise it, and all things math related for that matter. Well, except I do love adding up all the kisses Cole gives me. It makes a girl feel wanted.

"B. 864 cm³ /s," I respond confidently.

Brady whistles and hands the paper to me. "You're good at this shit, Welt."

"Damn right she is," Cole butts in. Then he gives me a chaste kiss. "Your reward for getting the answer right," he whispers.

I decide then and there that this is my favorite way to study. With Cole by my side, a coffee in my hands, surrounded by friends in a cute café, and getting sweet kisses from Cole for every question I get right.

*******

When we finish up studying at the café a little after four-thirty p.m., Cole and I hop in my car and head home. We decided to carpool on the way over, because well, we live next door to each other and why waste the gas?

"You're cute when you're studying," Cole says, as I pull out of the parking lot at the café which is only ten or so minutes from our house.

"You think I'm cute no matter what I'm doing," I retort.