CHAPTER 22 ━━━

# ! | CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
- she lets them in on a secret

━━━ AS ONE COULD EXPECT,
JJ wakes up and promptly goes Momma Bear mode at the news of the airport shutdown.

The team members, including a very groggy Meryl, are all gathering in Rossi's room, most of them still in their pajamas with the exception of Hotch, who is in a suit. Of course. He's always in a goddamn suit. Jennifer wipes under her eyes. "I'm gonna miss my baby's Christmas. He's never going to forget that. He'll ask where I am-"

"And you'll get to say, when you see him in like three hours, that you and your really cool friends are going to stay at Auntie Meryl's really cool place in Montana," Meryl replies, eyelids heavy as she nurses a cup of coffee.

Rossi laughs. "Are you still doped up?"

"Nah," is Meryl's reply, "I have what you may call... an established presence around here. Right now, there's a private flight with Jack and Henry and Momma Morgan And Sarah and Desirée and Beth and Elia on it and they're zooming here as we speak."

Everyone still looks confused so she turns to Spencer. "Do you know what Venus Corp is?"

His reply is immediate. "A multi-million dollar pharmaceutical company that has invented a lot of veterinary alternatives for medicines with intense side effect- oh my God, is that you?"

She shrugs. "It's based in Venus, Montana. That's where my production plant is, and a wind turbine farm. But that's not the point, the point is there's a separate property for the clinic I own and do consulting for. There's also a lodge that's perfect for this time of year. I closed it off this season because of some remodeling but that's all done now. What I'm saying is, Christmas is being brought to you."

Rossi is the first to reply. "So you're richer than I am?"

Meryl, who currently has JJ clinging to her like a chimpanzee, laughs. "A lot of my money funnels into various charities or goes back into the company or various ecological endeavors. My mother, you know, before the whole killing herself thing, had a crap ton of money that she left for me to have when I turned eighteen. So, I started Venus, got back in touch with her side of the family, and now it's Murphy owned and operated."

Morgan shakes his head. "And you didn't tell us this because...?"

"It wasn't of use until now, silly." The dark haired woman stands. "Hotch, JJ, sorry I put your kids on a jet without your permission. Jessica and Will were happy to give me the go-ahead, though."

JJ looks at Meryl with tears in her big blue eyes. "You're heaven-sent, Mer."

The younger scoffs. "Hardly. Now go get dressed, folks. Our ride will be here any minute."

ೃ⁀➷

Their ride proves to be an enthusiastic pair of old men in two decked out black pickup trucks with tinted windows vanity license plates reading "VENUS" and "V3NUS". They run on electric, courtesy of one of Meryl's friends in high places.

"Guys," Meryl smiles brightly, "meet my grandpa Ren and his brother, Joey. Fellas, these are my friends and our guests for the next little while."

Ren, an absolute silver fox with sharp grey eyes and a coif of silver hair, takes Penelope's bag and puts in the covered bed of his truck. "Lovely to meet you. If this one trusts you, you can bet your ass I do too." His voice is gruff and a little southern sounding, a contrast to Meryl's lush Italian drawl.

Hotch shakes both their hands and then raises his brows. "I don't think we brought enough clothes for this."

Meryl dismisses this concern. "There are more than enough clothes in the shops at the lodge and in the closets at the mansion. Some of it's riding gear but-"

"Mansion?" says Emily.

"Riding gear?" echoes Reid.

"My house and horses. My mother was a really successful rider before she died. I guess some of that passion rubbed off on me. Anyway," Meryl shakes herself out of whatever sentiment she'd been about to embark on, "let's get this show on the road."

She hops into a truck with Emily, Spencer, and JJ. The former calls shotgun, launching into an animated discussion with Ren, who flirts like nobody's business.

"I see where you get it," Emily comments with a smug grin on her face. Very few things were funnier than getting Reid jealous, and she was in need of a good laugh.

Meryl raises one dark brown. "Pardon?"

"Your charm. That night at the club with Morgan and then me? You've got game, girl." Spencer chooses this time to stare out the window in mock disinterest. Realistically, he's finding it next to impossible not to pay attention. Meryl had gotten stuck with the middle seat, which meant her thigh was pressed against the entire length of his own. Her perfume was strong in his nose.

Meryl snorts a laugh and gets a smattering of Spencer's cologne. She resists the urge to lean in, responding to Emily in lieu of making a fool of herself. "It's just cause I'm Italian. Rossi has hella game. So does Pops."

"Damn straight!" Ren calls enthusiastically, "Y'all are about to be flanked by people like us. Mer, you remember Audrey?"

She nods. "Of course. God, don't tell me she still-"

"Talks about you to whoever will listen? Yes ma'am. Girl is still as crazy about you as ever. She might burst an ovary when you walk in the door," Ren jokes.

JJ flashes a bright smile. "Ooh, Audrey. Old girlfriend?"

Ren guffaws at this, but it's Meryl that replies. "Heavens, no. We, ehm, we hooked up once and she got a little..."

"She had stars in her eyes for weeks," Ren supplies, chuckling suggestively.

Em nudges the girl to her right. "You're that good, huh?"

"Ew," Meryl groans, "Not cool. Not in front of my grandfather."

Ren just continues to chortle. "Heard worse from your momma."

"Yeah?" Now Meryl's interest was hooked. She didn't know much about Margaret Murphy, just that she was a professional rider who had offed herself because being pregnant ruined her career.

The old man in the driver's seat nods. "Horses were the only thing that woman rode. Mara was fruitier than that apple tree you planted on your third birthday."

"Giuseppe!" Meryl recalls, earning an adoring smile from Spencer. "How's he doing?"

"Gives us the biggest bushel every year. Still can't believe you named that thing."

Emily bites her bottom lip. "I still can't believe you laid such good pipe, she fell in love with you immediately."

Meryl hides her face in Spencer's shoulder. "Make them stop, I beg of you."

Spencer just laughs. "Why should I? This is hilarious."

"Demons, all of you," Meryl growls, suddenly grabbing Spencer's thigh and shaking excitedly. "We're here!"