CHAPTER 46 ━━━

# ! | CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
- he finds something he should
have known more about

━━━ CLAUDE COMES IN THE
form of an abandoned warehouse littered with graffiti. Kela had gotten them an in, and a challenger had quickly risen to challenge the almighty Aphrodite. Ironically enough, Meryl's competition had chosen the pseudonym of Artemis.

The entire team enters the door at different times. They'd shown up to do some inconspicuous canvasing and try to lure out their unsub before Meryl could put herself in too much danger. It's eleven p.m and the area around them is electrically charged with anticipation. Inside the warehouse, there is a well lit ring smack in the middle, preparation pits dug into adjacent sides. It leaves a bad taste in Spencer's mouth to look around at the indoor bleachers and snack bar.

"I hope she's as tough as she looks," Rossi  mumbles at Spencer's side as Artemis makes her first appearance. She's five foot nine, maybe ten, with clear, tan skin and dark hair closely cropped to her head. She has a prison style neck tattoo and wears bright red shorts and a white sports bra.

"What do you think her chances of survival are?" Spencer turns, horrified, at the elder agent's words. "What do you mean, chance of survival?"

Rossi shakes his head. "The one thing you don't know about. There are two rounds, the knockout and the finishing. First round is over when someone is knocked unconscious. Second round is over when someone... you know."

Spencer's head is reeling. His bitter words play over and over in his head, he can see Meryl's eyes losing their sparkle, and now this. But then she'd been all touchy with Akela. So obviously, she was already working on getting over him.

No, that couldn't be true. Spencer thinks about every little moment they'd spent together. She looked at him like he cherished him, like she adored him.

Like she loves him. Or had, at least.

Lights flicker on and there she is, though Spencer barely recognizes her. she wears tight black biker shorts and a reinforced sports bra. The lighting makes her abs more prominent as she breaths heavily. In combination with her tattoos and three facial scars, Meryl looks every bit of the boxer she's trying to portray. Her knuckles are wrapped, nails cut and polish removed, and her hair in a tight bun.

Meryl takes her communicator out of her ear and drops it on the ground, when some overeager audience member steps on it.

"What the hell is she doing?" Spencer asks, thinking himself to be alone.

Akela's voice is low in his ear. "Commiting."

Spencer looks over at the woman who wears an angry scowl on her face. His eyes narrow. "Right, sure, like how she commits to relationships, right?"

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Akela snaps. "Meryl is more dedicated to her job and to her family than anyone else I know. Don't you dare blame her for your own insecurities, Mr. Reid."

Spencer's jaw tightens. "It's Doctor."

"I'll call you doctor when you start acting like one. This wouldn't have happened if I had fought for Meryl back then." Akela raises his voice to be heard over the announcer.

"What do you mean?" asks Spencer, curiosity getting the best of him.

Kel rolls her eyes. "Meryl broke up with me because she knew I was cheating. She said that I should be committed to the right person, and I married the person I was cheating with. But never, not once, did I worry about Meryl being unfaithful. She gave me the world, same as I'm sure she gave you. Meryl and I were never meant to work out, but she fucking loves you. I thought I understood why when she told me about you earlier, but now I'm coming up empty."