CHAPTER 52 ━━━

# ! | CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
- she says her final goodbyes

━━━ "WELL, WELL, LOOKS
like her Royal Highness can take some time off after all." Spencer resists the urge to clench his jaw as he watches Meryl gracefully take a seat opposite of a one Claudia Ferrara.

It's October twenty eighth, Meryl is almost halfway into twenty seven and Spencer has only recently turned thirty one. They'd grown together exponentially, tough cases only tying them tighter together. She'd awakened something in him that Spencer didn't even know existed. Every time he thought he had reached true, full love and that there was no way he could possibly love her anymore than he did, she would do something else to prove him wrong. It didn't even have to be big, just a kiss on his neck or baking at three a.m and he was sent tumbling head over heels again.

And Meryl? She was just as bad. Her post-it compliments turned into latte art and cheeky texts and gifts and spontaneous weekend trips. The last five months had been bliss outside of work.

Back in the present, Meryl inspects her perfectly polished dark purple nails. "Don't flatter yourself, Claudia. It'd just be rude to let you die in a metal box all on your own."

The deranged gerbil of a woman before her twitches a grey eye, a grin too wide for her face curling her chapped lips. "Don't deny it, you have a soft spot for me."

Meryl rolls her eyes. "Whatever sends you off peacefully. What do you want?"

Clau pops a brow. "Just to see your pretty little ass in here again. I'm all good now."

Meryl stands and puts her hand on Spencer's chest as he makes a move to slap the smirk right off Claudia's face. Meryl makes sure to remind him that she needs no help fighting her own battles.

"If you're done with me, die alone, Clau. Realize now that I won." She walks to the cell door.

"I hate you, I hate y-"

"Be quiet."

ೃ⁀➷

Spencer looks over at Meryl's face as he drives. "How are you, love?"

Meryl puts one hand on his knee sweetly. "I'm good, really. Gonna be able to sleep a lot better knowing there's no way she's getting out and hurting anyone else. Hurting you." Just a few minutes prior, she'd received the call that Claudia had in fact passed away. She looks out the window. "Where are we going?"

"Disney. Well, the airport and then Disneyland."

"Spencer," growls Meryl, well familiarized with the cost of such a trip.

He laughs and silences her upcoming qualms with his hand. "You haven't let me pay for anything in, like, months. I think you forget that I have plenty of my own money."

She looks out the window. "You're lucky I love you."

Spencer smiles brightly. "I know."

Their chatter turns excited then, Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles serving as an excellent backing track for their upcoming adventure. At the airport, Meryl does typical Meryl things like upgraded their seats to first class and getting them situated in the special lounge she had access to.