CHAPTER 41 ━━━

# ! | CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
- she advises her of more
than her rights

━━━ EMILY WHISTLES LOWLY
as she stands behind the one way mirror in the observation room. On the other side of the panel sits Claudia, and opposite her, Meryl does that thing where she sits to look far more imposing then she actually is. They stare at each other, grey eyes against green, before Clau finally cracks.

"I thought I killed you already," she states lazily.

Meryl shakes her head just slightly. "Nope," she pops the "p", "Just nineteen other people. Not to mention the charges for animal abuse. Although, attempted murder of a federal agent isn't really helping your case."

Claudia rolls her eyes. "I'll be a queen in whatever prison you put me in."

Spencer can't help but smile as Meryl tips her head back and laughs sarcastically. "A queen? Darling, you'll be somebody's bitch just until your injection date comes up. Killing a federal agent is one thing, but trying to kill one and failing? I mean, honestly, it's like you're trying to ruin your reputation before you've even arrived!"

Claudia stands and slams her cuffed fists against the metal table, secreting a horrible metal noise. "I was going to be a god! But then you came and you killed her and she still left everything to you!"

Meryl juts out her bottom lip. "Forgive me if I'm not in the mood for sympathy. You've got more charges against you than I feel like reading. You have no one to testify for you, and to be quite fair, you're just not very charming, Claudia. The act for you to receive the death penalty is already in motion. Good day."

With graceful movements, she stands, and Claudia watches her leave. "Wasted my time in your mom. Coulda had a whole lot longer with you."

Meryl smiles. "Find someone who looks like me in CCWF, get it out of your system."

And with that, she closes the door behind her.

When she walks in to the observation room, Derek is staring at her with saucer eyes. "That was... how did you just- you were so calm?"

Meryl smiles and accepts JJ's hug. "Dunno. Too tired to think anymore. Can we go home?"

That was a lovely idea. It was nearly four in the morning and everyone was exhausted to the bone. After Meryl takes some time to assure the safety and well being of her blood relatives, they collect their things and drive to the landing strip.

Once everyone is settled on the jet, Meryl speaks up. "I am aware that what I did today was reckless and I'm willing to face whatever repercussions are necessary. I put myself and consequently all of you in danger and I didn't act the way an agent should. Truly, I am sorry."

Rossi shakes his head and meets her eye from where she sits on the sofa with Spencer. "You protected your family. We've all done the same once or twice."

Hotch quirks the corner of his mouth up, though his eyes are closed. "You do something like that again and I'll fire you on the spot, Murph. Rossi isn't getting any younger, you could have given him a heart attack."

The tension in the cabin dissipates and laughter steps up to fill it's void. It was impossible to maintain anger at pure intention, especially when they'd gotten the bad guy and escaped unscathed.