CHAPTER 30 ━━━

# ! | CHAPTER THIRTY
- they're feeling festive

━━━ WHEN EVERYONE EMERGES
from the lodge kitchen after dinner, the common room has been turned into a Christmas wonderland. Henry and Jack run over to play with Legos and look at an automatic train that runs along a track. There's tinsel hanging from the mantle, a giant, fresh smelling pine tree in the middle of the expansive room. There are several plastic totes of classic red, gold, and clear ornaments sitting next to it, the lights and ribbon have already been done. The outside of the lodge had been decorated since they arrived, lights with red bows and doors with wreaths, but Beth had been thinking the inside could do with some holiday cheer, and now her wish had been granted.

Elia sits obediently in his red leather collar as the younger boys pet him enthusiastically. Penelope, JJ, and Beth immediately start decorating the tree, and Morgan makes a face as Fran and Ren kiss under the mistletoe. Spencer and Diana sit on the sofa, watching everyone around them while continuing to catch up. Meryl slips into the madness quietly, grabbing a few baubles from the box of decorations. She'd taken a shower following her wrestle with the massive tree, which had gobbed her up with sap. She now wore a flowy black dress with leggings and boots, hair curling and slightly damp as it tumbles in waves down her back. JJ and Beth were dressed similarly to her, most of the guys opting for jeans and various levels of shirt.

Marilyn and Clau sit on the floor with a keyboard and a bass and play stripped down versions of various Christmas songs, humming mostly to themselves as gradually the tree fills and people slip off to bed.

When Diana stands from her spot with Spencer at a quarter past eleven, claiming she was going to head to bed, she finds Meryl and takes her hand. "It was a joy to meet you, Meryl. Take care."

Meryl returns the thanks, kissing her on both cheeks and wishing her a night of rest and a safe journey home. She catches Spencer's eye afterward. He beckons her over with two fingers, smiling at her sleepy state. Murph sits on the couch and then leans over until her head plops into his lap. "Did you get your goodbye in?" She asks, humming softly as Spencer's hand slips into her hair. By now, they're the only ones in the drafty room.

He nods. "I did. Thank you so much, Meryl. I don't know how you pulled this off, but I really appreciate it. The whole team does."

She shrugs. "Anything for my family."

When the two of them in addition to Elia return to Meryl's house, Spencer goes off to shower and returns to find Meryl fast asleep in bed, her dog snoozing at her feet. Spencer gets under the covers with them, nerves sending heat blossoming in his stomach as Meryl finds him in sleep, strong arms holding him close. He falls asleep like that, dreaming of Meryl while being held by her.

ೃ⁀➷

When the sun rises the neck morning, Diana is in a car driving back toward Bennington. Her supervisor texted both Meryl and Reid that she would keep them updated and let them know when Mrs. Reid had returned safely to the sanitarium.

Murph wakes first at around 4 a.m, body and mind ready to be awake but heart telling both of those things that she had to stay. Spencer's arm was around her hips, head against her chest, using her arm closest to the bed like a pillow. Their legs are intertwined and his breathing is deep, face completely smoothed over. He was so beautiful like this, it was completely different from his normal attractiveness. This was angelic, the bow of his lips and the way, every once in a while, he would subconsciously feel he was too far away and nestle his face back into the crook of her neck.