Chapter 31: Half Died

UNEDITED 

>> Playlist: I Like You by Cho Jung Seok <<

Dedicated to @lyricirony19 for the constant comments that got me started on this chapter xD 

The song was chosen randomly as i picked the last song that came up after I finished this chapter lol hope you liked it TAT

Kim Hara:

I didn't realise when we entered the store or how we even got here as all i could hear or see was my heartbeat and an image of coffee-nim approaching me. I was repeating the scene in my head and i really was starting to think i was in a drama of some sort cause suddenly my mind plays it in slowmo. 

Thankfully i must have maintained a neutral expression since the car ride was somewhat quiet; that or I didn't hear him talking since i was in over my head. As we sat down, he seemed busy arranging the utensils from the storage box beside the table. 

Huh when was the last time someone helped set the table for me?.. 

Breaking off my thoughts I looked around for the waiter when coffee-nim suddenly spoke loudly. 

"IMO! Can we get a menu here?", he called out. I flinched a little at the sudden loud noise, shocking me a little, but at the same time the situation was oddly funny to me since i felt a smirk forming on my face. I didn't peg Han Directornim as one to dine in casual restaurants but here we are. 

I have never dined in such a casual restaurant with a ANY man for a date. This wasn't a date but wow Stella, we're crossing all sorts of rules for one man ay?! 

"Most restaurants are probably full by this time, I'm close with the owner here so we skipped the long queue outside", he pointed towards the very obvious que outside, "i thought since you're in Korea might as well taste Korean food while you're at it, this is fine right?", he asked but his question seemed more like a statement. I can't decide whether this man is trying to put distance between us or this is his way of being closer to a person so I answered the only way i know how.

"Hmmm", i nodded looking around the restaurant before settling my gaze upon him again, "what if i say I'm not okay?", I teased. He seemed to think for a second before answering. 

"Then you'd probably have to starve... there's really no free restaurants around here", he said with a smile. 

This man was one day kill me with his dimples only. 

His smile was too contagious that I found myself smiling and modding along as well. The conversation took a pause as the aunt arrived with our menu. I briefly looked through and sneaked a peek at the man on the other side of the table to realise he wasn't looking through the menu but having small talk with the imo beside our table. 

I kept aside my menu, leaned it towards the table till my movements caught his attention and asked, "why don't Han Directornim recommend me a meal? It seems you like regular here". He stayed quite for a moment, slightly looking over to the menu then looked over. 

"Recommend... hmm.... If you don't have any special allergies then how about Pine Nut Noodles?", he said as he cleared his throat. 

"Ayyy jak-kalguksoo again? Don't you get tired of them?", the imo asked with a smile. 

"I know right...", was what I thought i heard as his reply. He said it too softly as if words meant only for him, that I doubted my ears for a second. Deciding not to fret over it and told the aunty that I'll take that. She agreed and told us wait for a while, taking our menu's and walking away. 

"You must really like pine nut noodles? This restaurant must be famous for it huh?", I threw it out there to fill in the conversation, as this man in front of me seemed to be focusing on everything but me. 

"Huh?... oh yeah.. some what", he hesitated for a second then I'm not sure what was on his mind but he suddenly started smiling, "to be honest, personally pine nut noodles are probably the best from gapyeong, their recipe is quite uniques there wasn't any pine but but then....", and the story came flowing out, about how he really didn't know that pine nut noodles can be that tasty. This is probably the most I've seen coffee-nim smile so I just sat there and listened to his entire story. 

Before we even knew it, our conversation about his 'acquaintance' stepping on cow poop was stopped by our food coming over. "Oh, I talked too much about myself... how about you Kim Hara-ssi?", he said as he passed me the chopsticks. 

"Me? Hmm i don't really have any interesting stories i know of right now though", I said as mixed my noodles and started to dig in. No kidding i was starved, I'm just thankful my tummy didn't rumble.

I could faintly sense coffee-nim staring at me instead of eating and I didn't really mind the attention, up until he brought up a topic I completely forgot. "Hmmm i doubt though, you seemed to be out drinking last night...", he started. I paused. 

Shit Stella how could you forget you drunk called him!? 

"... it sounded pretty busy around you..", he continued. My head involuntarily turned to face him, slowly. "I was worried thinking you were day-drinking in the US...", he went on, a smile threatening to break into his blank expression. To make matters worse, I choked. 

That was all it took before he broke out laughing, passing me some water. My face must've showed desperate woman looking for a way out of this situation since he didn't stop smiling even as I'm half dying. After I've calmed down, i took in a deep breathe. 

Check check. Are we still alive Stella? 

Barely but yes. 

Coffee-nim still had a smile on his face when he asked "gwenchanayo?" 

I nodded, "I almost half  died but yeah I'm good". After that thankfully it seemed he didn't want to attempt to murder me again seeing as he didn't bring up the topic and just silently ate his kalguksoo. I continued eating mine too before I addressed the topic again. "I'm sorry i called you in the middle of the night by the way", i said and he nodded in acknowledgement. "By the way, why did you think I was in the US though?", I asked. 

"Because it was from a US number...", he answered easily. 

"Ne?... ah right, i forgot to change my number", I said mostly to myself. I took a mental note to buy a SIM card later on. He didn't  comment on anything after that so we ate in silence. It wasn't uncomfortable, for me at least since I was what I do best in a silent situation. Analyse the conversation. 

From the way he was telling his kalguksoo story earlier he seemed too happy to be talking about just an acquaintance, and I have a feeling i know this acquaintance. 

That's right Stella, lets not go in too deep. This man is just eye candy for your stay here! 

You are Stella Kim! 

You're in control of your feelings! That's right!! 

Though why does it feel as if I'm one foot in deep waters right now?... 

==========================================

Vote if you liked it 

Comment if you loved it! 

Share if you spotted a Hong Du Sik influence here AHHAHA 

Lastly, FOLLOW ME COZ YOU LUB ME ❤️