Something Ventured, Someone Framed

(Gus's POV)

The Human Appreciation Society has a club meeting today. Various human items are on a desk.

"Behold. The wonders of the human realm" I pick up one of the objects "This little fella's one of their most valued objects. It aids in the compiling of printed wisdom, the scratching of gunk from under your nails, and my favorite... It even mimics the sounds of the human ocean...Aah! The human realm. So beautiful. I walk over to the chalkboard "It's safe to say that the pay‐per‐clorp is a stunning testament to human ingenuity. Any questions?"

I turn around to face the rest of the club. Eileen, Bo, and the unicorn Bard track student are all falling asleep, and Mattholomule looks thoroughly bored. He raises his hand.

"Ah! Our newest member: Mattholomule."

"A‐Augustus, is this what the president of the Human Appreciation Society thinks passes as 'Human Artifacts'?"

I"m confused.

"Because at my old school," he pushes aside my stuff "we had real treasures." Mattholomule empties his bag onto the desk, dumping out a rock painted to look like a cell phone, an egg with a skull painted on it, and a shoe made out of mud, leaves, and twigs. They're labeled "cellular phone," "human skull," and "sports footwear" respectively. The other members of the club gasp and lean closer to them.

"So real."

"Wow!"

"I‐‐ I wanna touch them."

"Go ahead. In my club, we didn't have any dumb rules."

I gasp and turn to my list of rules "Shh. He didn't mean that." I glare at everyone touching Mattholomule's objects, then take them away.

"Hey!"

"What?"

"Well, this isn't your club. Thankfully." I said to the club

"Exactly, who thinks I should be president?"

"I do!" Ouch

"Mattholomule for prez." Ouch again

"I'm an undecided voter. I wanna touch all the objects first."

Eileen and Bo talk over each other as I pick up the 'phone.'

"These are fakes."

Bo gasps "What?"

Mattholomule stammers "You can't prove that...You're just trying to distract these human appreciators. You're afraid of getting kicked out of office. It's your word versus mine."

"I don't know what to believe in anymore."

"My faith in Gus has been broken."

I walk backward into the chalkboard. Then I spot a newspaper clip with a picture of Luz on it. Ding

"What if I brought in an expert?"

"Yeah, right. Who can you find that's a bigger human expert than any of us?"

"How about a real human?"

"Why the secrets?"

"Show don't tell, man."

"Yeah. Uh‐huh. A‐And you've never brought your friend here. Why?"

"Well, she's busy. She's got a job. But I'll bring her in tomorrow. She'll prove I'm right."

Mattholomule scoffs "Ah, sure you will, Augustus. Sure you will."

-Time Skip-

I came to The Owl House living to find Luz, (Y/n) and Eda are rummaging through boxes. Huh, guess that's why (Y/n) wasn't at school today. King is laying on the couch and I'm standing in front of Luz.