Chapter 31

The door clicked as Ayato entered the room (Y/n) had been occupying since their arrival at Anteiku. His eyes scanned the room, but he paused once he realized there was something missing.
(Y/n).
He scowled. "Where the hell did you go?"
The words escaped his lips in a low mutter, but the sounds of something being knocked over in the bathroom seemed to answer his question.
He drummed his knuckles against the door. "(Y/n)? Let's try not to get yourself killed in there. What's all the noise?"
The lock clicked, and a hand reached out from the space between the door and the frame. The girl held a fresh roll of bandages out to him. Ayato sighed and took it, before entering the bathroom with her.

He was quiet as she carefully sat down. He spent a few minutes wrapping her torso in the white cotton before helping her with her shirt. She was being oddly quiet, but Ayato wouldn't say anything, favoring this over hearing her complain. He stepped back as she finished getting dressed, leaning against the wall as he watched.
     "Why didn't you wait? You knew I was coming back around this time."
     "The old ones were bothering me." She pulled the shirt over her head after putting her arms through the sleeves, then fixed it around her waist. "Didn't want to wait either."
     "It's a little stupid of you to try and do it yourself though." He muttered. She hadn't been walking around much in the past few days since it was hard on her back. Not only that, but walking around and applying first aid usually means you have to be able to see.
     He watched as the girl stood up from her spot, and suddenly she was making her way towards him and draping her arms over his shoulders. He blinked, the gesture catching him completely by surprise as she stood only a few inches away.
     A soft smile crept onto her face as her eyes trailed over his expression.
     "Ah. You can see now."
     She smiled more, being able to hear the slight change in his tone, and finally being able to see the subtly flushed pigment on his face and his wide eyes as well.
She reached up and stole a kiss. "Just in one eye." She replied quietly. But it was big to her. It had been weeks since she had been able to see clearly. It made the sharp image of Ayato's face all the more exciting. He had dropped to an effortless scowl, but after another quick kiss, a smirk began tugging at his lips.

"What's your problem all of a sudden?" He muttered, finding her behavior a bit bolder than usual. He hated that he couldn't hide his reactions now of all times, but the girl's genuine smile had been such a rare sight, it was infectious. His arms moved from being crossed down to his sides.
"I'm just trying to bother you." (Y/n) hummed, slowly pulling him away from the wall to be able to wrap her arms around him. She moved a bit closer as his hands found the curve of her waist.
"You're pretty good at that."
"Mmm, I don't know. It doesn't seem to be working right now." She mumbled, her fingers tempted to grasp at and play with the loose ends of his hair.
"Oh trust me, it's working."

She pouted slightly, like she didn't believe him. "I can see you smiling." But then she interrupted herself with a gasp. "Is it possible you're happy for me?"
"Not a chance." He replied, attempting to straighten out his expression but failing again as the girl's lips met his. This time he kissed back, and pulled her slightly closer with a gentle but firm hold on her sides.
"What is it then?" (Y/n) hummed softly.
"I'm just thinking about how much time I'll have now that I'm not wasting it on babysitting."
The girl's eyes narrowed to a glare. Ayato's smirk grew slightly.
"I like you better when you don't talk."
He leaned closer, closing the gap between them one last time in a slightly deeper kiss than the softer ones before. It was a few seconds before he pulled away, using the placement of his hands to create some space between him and the girl.
"Then quit asking me questions." He hummed.

Now it was (y/n)'s turn to give a look of surprise. Her face slowly began to flush with the realization of the situation she was in, and even more so with the fact that she had started all of it. She didn't take herself as the flirting type, and she definitely didn't take Ayato as it either.
     He watched her expression as she looked away, after a moment the feeling he had initially been experiencing returned. But he definitely couldn't show that. (Y/n) had already shown weakness. He couldn't do the same.
     "You should go lay down." He said, thinking for a moment, before raising a hand to tuck a strand of hair behind (y/n)'s ear.
     He pulled away. "I'll clean up here. Try not to run into a wall like an idiot."
     The comment seemed to bring the girl back to her senses, and she hit the male's arm with the back of her hand before trudging off to the bed once again.