Chapter 16

The air was still. The room was silent apart from the average sounds of commotion that came from outside. (Y/n) was in bed, resting after the hard day she had fIghting the day before. Her small figure rose and fell silently with every breath as she slept.
The girl shifted slightly, feeling uncomfortable as the low hum of the air started to make itself apparent in her ears. A deep breath of air filled her lungs, and she whined unwillingly as she felt her consciousness returning.
A moment passed, and (y/n)'s eyes fought to pull themselves open. The world was a tired blur to her as she stretched herself out in her bed and let out a long slow sigh. Her muscles still ached from the day before, and so her movements were sluggish and unbalanced as she sat herself up and got out of bed. The girl let out a quiet yawn as she pried herself up, and then wandered around the room a bit to try and make herself more awake.
A sigh of discontent escaped (y/n)'s lips as her exhaustion failed to fade, and she leaned onto her dresser tiredly. The girl looked up to the mirror after a moment, and found herself examining her body for the injuries she had sustained last night. She was happy to find them healed, even though healing them may have made her oversleep a bit.
     (Y/n) stood for a while, then began to just look around the room tiredly with no real purpose in mind. She squinted, seeing an unfamiliar object on her desk, and then made her way across the room to see what it was. (Y/n) sighed, picking up the package and looking it over. It was newly, and hastily, wrapped in brown paper. A short note scribbled onto the top.

     'you're welcome you damn princess'

     A small grin began to take over her lips as she read the note. She looked the package over a couple more times. Her grin slowly grew into a smile. Someone had obviously been thinking of her. After a moment she sat down and opened the package; she looked happily at the meat in front of her, and enjoyed her small meal.
     'Thank you, Ayato.'

~

     The blue haired ghoul paced through the outdoor halls of Aogiri, a long groan of annoyance escaping his lungs as he did. The base had been abnormally busy today, but somehow the teen had absolutely nothing to do. It was irritating. He walked knowing that all the other ghouls were occupied with their own affairs, and he was here, wandering like an idiot. Unable to entertain himself.
Of course all of the blame for his problem fell to (y/n) who had been closed up in her room all day. He had checked on her, twice now, and as far as he knew she was still asleep.
     He wandered still, thinking to himself. How long was the girl going to sleep? Was this a normal thing for her after raids..?

     'Maybe I should go check on her again..?'
     It was nearly evening and he still hadn't seen the girl once. Ayato paced a bit, 'What- no. Who even cares about her?' He continued, shaking his head slightly. An odd sense of frustration came over him as he thought about the girl, and he huffed irritatedly. 'God, whatever'
     A few flights of stairs later and Ayato was still caught wandering the halls boredly, an irritated look on his face. He didn't really know what floor he was on, but at this point it didn't matter. He had nothing to do anyways.

     He turned a corner, and a sudden impact to his chest nearly made him jump out of his skin. He quickly grew angry at the figure that had knocked into him. "Hey, watch it!" He scolded.
"Agh.. sorry.." the ghoul below him groaned.
Ayato instinctively recognized the voice, and glared down at the figure below him. His anger quickly subsided, but he still held an irritated expression as he watched the girl pick herself up. He clicked his tongue.
"Tch, I was starting to think you were dead." He huffed, annoyed. He didn't care whether or not she was healing, she had kept him waiting way longer than what he found acceptable.
(Y/n) shrugged, looking up to him. "Sorry to get your hopes up" she replied bluntly.
Ayato rolled his eyes, and after a moment turned to lean back against a support pillar. "Always gotta be a smartass, huh?" He huffed.
The girl laughed, "oh, you're one to talk."
Ayato sighed.