Chapter 3

Weeks passed. Eto had seen the ghoul that had been brought back from the mission and decided to dispose of him. She didn't seem happy for some reason. The ghoul was placed under Ayato's supervision, and then given to Oomori, and placed in the man's 'special chambers' for his own experimentation. The thought sent a chill down (y/n)'s spine. She was on of the few ghouls that was well aware of the torture that went on inside Oomori's wing of Aogiri.
     The girl would walk through the halls doing her daily tasks, and whenever she was close enough she could hear the muffled screams from inside the chamber. When she would analyze surrounding data it didn't matter where she was. She could hear crying, suffering, clear as day. It was horrible.

~

The evening was colder than usual. The air stung as it reached (y/n)'s skin but she didn't mind it too much. It was better than being cooped up in her room. She hadn't been able to sleep recently, and her stomach was starting to hurt her as her time without eating grew. But she couldn't go out to hunt in fear of  being caught. She'd have to wait until her scheduled feeding.

The girl sighed, looking up at the sky. She was supposed to be analyzing data at the moment, but every time she tried to focus on the sounds she could find, all she could pick up was the sound of that dammed one-eyed ghoul. She couldn't stand it.
     "C'mon quit being so sensitive" she scolded herself, biting on her lip out of frustration. She knew she shouldn't care as much as she did, the ghoul was a prisoner after all. But her heart held sympathy for others, it was something she couldn't help.
     Against her own thoughts, she closed her eyes and listened for anything coming from Oomori's chambers. All she heard was crying. Sorrow. Oomori must've just left.
     A pit filled (y/n)'s stomach at the horrible sound. She stood from the ground, muttering to herself in annoyance as she did. "damn you, (y/n) you're going to regret this..." she said, but she couldn't stop herself. She hated just sitting there while others were going through hell.

     The girl walked quickly in silence, hoping to go unnoticed in the night's air. She held onto her quinque as a precaution, but unfortunately she hadn't the chance to use it as she felt a sudden impact against her back, pinning her to the ground.
     Cold boots pressed against her back, keeping her down, but after only a second the girl felt the weight lift slightly.
     "(Y/n)??" Her attacker asked, his voice seemed shocked.
The girl groaned at the pain of the ghoul on her back. It was Ayato. "Yeah, now get off" she hissed pushing him away.
     The teen stepped off, giving her an angered glare as he did. "Why the hell are you out here snooping around, you idiot! I thought you were an enemy!" He scolded.
     The girl scoffed, "Uhm, I'm always out here?"
"Well you shouldn't be" he said. "What are you doing even doing- why do you have this?" He snapped, snatching away the girl's quinque.
The girl gasped and stepped forwards, trying to retrieve it but the other ghoul kept it away. He glared at her waiting for an answer.
After a moment (y/n) sighed and crossed her arms. "I'm just.. checking on that ghoul we brought back a while ago. Wanted to see if it was still alive or not." She lied, trying to sound like she didn't care as much.
Ayato gave her a weird look, "right, and that's why you were carrying your weapon with you and you came so late." He stated, his attitude seeping through his words.
"Just- why does it matter??" (Y/n) snapped. She was starting to get irritated.
"Because! Not only are you trying to get into Oomori's chamber, but you're lying about it" he argued, "What are you, stupid? If he finds you, you're going to be his next experiment!" The blue haired ghoul shouted.
"Why do you care??" (Y/n) argued.
Ayato scoffed at her before taking a step back. He didn't care, but then the realization hit him. He could've just ignored her this whole time. He crossed his arms as he looked to the side, buying some time for him to come up with a probable answer.

"Have you seen our numbers recently?" He scowled, "we don't need anymore trouble on our hands, even if it meant we could get rid of a useless ghoul like you"
(Y/n) glared at him as he spoke. Another use of his common insult towards her, useless. What was his problem with her? They had barely talked in all the time of being at Aogiri and now all of a sudden he hated her.
"Stop, calling me that" She growled.
     "What!"
     "Useless! And spoiled! And all the other thing you've been calling me while I'm not around!" She yelled.
     The boy seemed shocked that she had known what Ayato had thought of her, but shook it off with a scoff. "It's not my fault it's the truth" he said. "You don't fight, you don't hunt. You have absolutely no worth here." He retorted.
"Who are you to judge people's worth, huh? Not everything is ranked by slaughter, you just think that way, and so you fight like there's something you need to prove." (y/n) scolded, pushing the ghoul back.
Ayato returned the aggression, shoving her. "Well at least I'm actually fighting for something!" He shouted. "You on the other hand just sit there like some sort of princess!"
"Shut up!" (Y/n) yelled back, knocking the boy to the ground.
He growled and kicked his foot out, sweeping under her legs to knock her off balance. The girl quickly got up however, making Ayato frustrated. He sent a few swings her way along with a kick, but she was quick and dodged them easily. She returned the favor, swinging with her right arm. Ayato ducked to the side, but was thrown off as (y/n) faked a punch with her left, allowing for her to find an opening to kick him a few feet away.

Ayato grunted as he stood, his lungs craving air. He mentally scolded himself for his lack of stamina, but nonetheless took a few steps forwards. He wasn't done with this yet, he needed to show (y/n) her true place. Like a spark Ayato's kagune unleashed itself creating sharp crystal wings across his back. Before (y/n) had even the chance to catch her breath, he had shot shards of rc her way. She gasped, holding up her arms to block herself, but there was no escaping the blades being sent at her. They knocked her down immediately.

Ayato's breathing was still heavy as he approached the girl. For some reason he wasn't satisfied in seeing her state. The sight of her straining for breath, blood oozing from her wounds, didn't make him feel any less frustrated towards her. He clicked his tongue in annoyance at the feeling and stared down to her with a dark glare, bitterness seeping through his expression.
"You're weak, (y/n). useless." He said lowly. "Trash like you doesn't deserve the treatment you get here"
The girl coughed, spitting out blood that had welled up inside of her as she struggled to sit up. She kept her gaze on the ground as Ayato spoke, his words attempting to create new wounds.
"..you don't even know me." She muttered.
The boy sharpened his glare, his kagune still burning behind him. He could feel
His frustration building inside him as he took a step towards the girl, but before he could cause any more harm he was stopped.

"Kirishima." A low voice called.
Both young ghouls looked up Tatara, stopping their argument immediately. He looked angered, and the two knew they'd be in trouble. There was no way that the tall male hadn't overheard their fight. It was just a matter of how bad of a situation they were in.
The tall superior looked down to Ayato, and then (y/n) as she slowly stood up. A scowl covered his face.
"Both of you. Inside. Now." He scolded. "I can't believe something so childish would come from two of our highly valued executives" he said.
A long silence filled the air as the three stood before each other. Tatara waited for them to comply, and soon enough he got his wish.
Ayato scoffed, shoving his hands into his pockets. He was mad to say the least, but arguing with Tatara was a bad idea. He walked past him and (y/n), making sure to knock into her shoulder as he did.
"Whatever" he muttered rudely, and with his last comment said, left the area.