Chapter 25

(Y/n) walked through the streets of the 20th ward. It was dark out, about to rain.
God she felt like it was always raining nowadays. How was she supposed to deal with that.

The bell chimed as she pushed open the cafe door, stepping inside and plopping down on one of the barstools. The shop was empty, the sign had read closed after all.
She didn't care. She had come here fairly regularly now. She knew the staff would greet her like always.
She heard Nishiki groan as she rested her head on the counter.
"I just wiped that down you know-" he huffs, tossing a rag onto the counter.
She kept her head down and sighed. "Shut up Nishiki you can wipe it again when I leave."
"You do realize it's after hours right."
"Do I look like I care?"

There was a pause.

"Damn what's got you all pissed today?"
(Y/n) let out a sigh. "I'm not.. I'm just.." she didn't really know how to express it.
"Okay maybe I am pissed.."
Nishiki leaned onto the counter. "So are you going to talk or just sit here and bitch?"
The girl sank into her arms a bit, letting out a long, loud sigh before sitting up and leaning back in her chair.
She pouted a bit, "can I have coffee..?"
He rolled his eyes at her and stood back up, "fine.."

He made her a drink and set it down, watching as she took a few sips. She blinked a few times and sighed as the felt the caffeine rush into her body. She looked up to him and gave her thanks.
"I'm just stressed as always." She hummed, answering him. "Doves are just... brutal now on us... and now Ayato's being a jerk too.."
Nishiki watched her with a hum.
She looked away.
"I probably shouldn't say too much. It just sucks, I'm so tired sometimes I just want to leave.."
"Then leave." Nishiki answered.
"I can't."

She sighed and drank some more of the hot liquid, closing her eyes for a moment. "It just.. doesn't work that way." She hummed.
Nishiki just nodded. He stood up and went back to cleaning off the counter again and putting things away. "Well you're always welcome here. I'm sure the old man wouldn't care."
She bit her bottom lip, sighing. "Thanks I guess." She hummed. A few minutes pass, the sound of the rain finally started to die down. She looked out the window.
"I should probably go." She said. "I shouldn't have come this late anyways I'll attract attention to you guys."
Nishiki shook his head. "As long as you're not kicking the door down nobody'll care." He said. He watched as she got up, and looked through her things for money. "Don't worry about it." He stopped her, "just get home safe"
She looked at him for a moment, and then nodded. "Thanks." She headed for the door.
Nishiki says a 'no problem' on her way out, and she shut the door.

She made the long trek back to Aogiri.

It was quiet when she got there only the sound of a few still lingering in the night filled the air.
     She walked up the stairs, through each building coursing through the maze that led to her room, and stopping short a few floors.
     She was stood in front of Ayato's door. The sound of him shifting irritably indicated that he was awake, and in bed. She bit on the inside of her lip, and took hold of the handle, opening the door slowly.
     He ignored her on her way in.
     She sighed and crawled into his bed, sitting cross-legged beside him. The stench of roasted coffee filled Ayato's senses, and he furrowed his brows.
     There was more to it than just the smell of coffee.
      She smelled like kaneki, from when she had worked with him.
      And she smelled like Anteiku. It only upset him more.

"The hell do you want?" He asked, gruffly.
She frowned, and let out a soft sigh, looking away. "Am I not allowed here anymore..?" She asked quietly.
He glared at whatever he was looking at, currently the wall, before he rolled onto his back, looking up to her instead. "I didn't say that I asked what the hell you want from me." He reiterated.
"I wanna know what your problem is." She replied simply, but coldly.
"My problem? I don't have one-"
"Oh don't give me that bullshit Ayato." She cut him off. "You've been pissed at me for two days now and you won't tell me why."
He growled to himself, sitting up.
"You associate yourself with literally everything I hate." He huffed.
(Y/n) tilted her head, and he just looked away. "You're with halfass so much it disgusts me- and that stupid coffee shop in the twentieth." He sighed, but stopped himself.
(Y/n) watched him carefully. "How did you know what shop I was at...?" She asked.
"You reek of the ghouls there." He sighed, and rested his head in his hands. "What the hell are you even doing there??? You've been there so many times-"
"Ayato, why does it matter?" She asked.
He growled, and gripped his hair slightly. "Because I don't want to fucking think about them!" He yelled. "They're cowards! And weak and intolerant!" He stood up now, and turned to her, glaring daggers. "You're just fucking betraying me being around them- every single one, kaneki included! You're supposed to be by my side not theirs!-"
"-Ayato." She tried to interrupt him.
"Don't even, (y/n)-"
"Ayato."
He huffed, "what.?!"

She sat up, on her knees so she could reach him since he stood, and quickly pressed their lips together in a kiss, effectively shutting him up.
He blinked a few times, kissing her back for just a moment before she pulled away.
She pulled him back into the bed, cupping his cheek with her palm.

"I don't know what you're thinking saying I'm betraying you, or that I'm not on your side." She hummed, "but whatever it is, it's wrong.. I'm always on your side alright?"
He looked at her, taken back slightly. He was suddenly and a loss for words. His expression remained cold, stoic, but it was easy to tell he had calmed down.

(Y/n) took his reaction as an okay, and sighed, laying down in his bed. He watched her with furrowed brows, and let out a sigh.
It was late, she was tired.
He was too.
He clicked his tongue, and laid back down beside her. He tucked an arm behind his head, and looked up to the ceiling. She laid on her side, facing him, and letting her eyes fall shut.
He sighed and brushed a hand through her hair, and she smiled softly.
The reaction made his face heat up a bit, and so he removed his hand shortly after. He shut his eyes as well with a huff.
Surprisingly, they both managed to sleep.

That is, until a loud, chasing rumble shook the entire building only hours later.

(Y/n) nearly fell, trying to get out of bed and figure out what was happening while still recovering from sleep.
Ayato also jolted awake, and they both rushed out of the door to the balcony.

The building was being attacked.
Every building in Aogiri was being attacked.
The CCG has surrounded them.

Ghouls were sprinting through the halls, getting into defensive positions, but the CCG was already breaking through, having attacked by surprise. (Y/n)'s eyes widened, her quinque was in her room, three floors up. She started in a sprint in that direction, but Ayato caught her arm.
"We need to get down there and stop them, now!" He said.
"My quinque is up there!" She said back to him.
They locked eyes, and Ayato looked at her with concern.
A long sigh escaped his lips. He let go of her wrist.

"Fine. Go!"

_________________________
Ahhhhhh update! I'm so sorry guys