Chapter 1

Ayato sighed, irritated as he walked through the halls of Aogiri. He had just finished up in a debriefing and after him and his entire squad was scolded for a failure that was way out of their control, he was done with people's crap.
     He made his way outside, taking a few steps out into the open area near the building's perimeter before stopping. He shoved his hands in his pockets and took in a breath as cool air surrounded him.
He stood in silence, it was somewhat calm for several minutes until finally something had disrupted him. The sound of footsteps crunching against the cracked concrete behind him.
     Ayato huffed, turning to look over his shoulder. He had expected to see Tatara coming to scold him for his behavior, or eto coming to try and torment him, but instead he found (y/n) walking by. His face dropped to a glare, for some reason this gave a worse feeling than the previous options.
     He watched her with an annoyed expression as she wandered the courtyard, not paying much attention to anything at all. Her actions were just useless, he couldn't stand it. She sat down near one of the few trees like she always did, Ayato sighed quietly.

     Several minutes passed, until the crunching of broken concrete filled the air again. This time, it was Tatara that came out. Ayato furrowed his brows, mentally preparing for whatever annoying conversation the superior would want to have, but surprisingly, the tall male walked right passed him.
     The teen wore a confused face as the superior made his way through the courtyard to (y/n). Why would he want to see her of all people? He watched as the girl finally noticed the older ghoul, and quickly picked herself up off the ground. She bowed, and the two began a conversation. Ayato couldn't really hear it from where he stood, but he continued watching nonetheless. Soon the two had stopped, and Tatara looked down as he pulled something out from his coat pocket. The blue haired ghoul squinted to see what it was. A small package wrapped in brown paper, ayato recognized it immediately. Meat.
The two ghouls spoke for a moment longer before Tatara finally made his leave. Ayato's eyes followed him for a moment, before making their way back to (y/n). His gaze locked with hers for just a moment, then ayato scoffed and looked away. He couldn't believe the interaction he had just witnessed. He had rarely seen her on missions. He had never seen her hunt, never seen her kagune, and now he found that she was hand delivered food? Just another thing to add to the list proving how invaluable she was. She was helpless.

Ayato stood in the cool air for a little while longer until finally the sight of the girl was too much for him to stand. He just couldn't understand why she was treated the way she was, if he acted that way he'd be thrown out of the Aogiri or killed even. It was beyond unfair. The purple haired teen huffed, kicking the dirt beneath him as he began to head inside. He stole one more glance at the girl as he left, only to find the same disgust he always felt seeing her.
"Spoiled brat.." he muttered as he left.

~

     The days passed by and soon enough it was time for yet another assignment from the subordinates of Aogiri. The executives were called in for a meeting just as they always were, and the plans for the mission were to be discussed.
Ayato walked into the room finding only Tatara inside waiting for the others. The boy took missions seriously, so it wasn't unusual for him to be a little early. A few minutes passed and soon the others chosen for the mission filed in. The boy watched and took note of who he'd be working with.
     He was confused when he watched Eto enter the room, but even more so when Oomori and (y/n) followed. Just what kind of mission would they be going on with such an odd group? He watched the three walk in, his eyes seeming to pay more attention to the girl he despised than to anyone else.
     (Y/n) looked over to him, squinting when she saw how he was looking at her. Ayato huffed and turned his attention to Tatara again. The man looked down to Eto as she approached, and stepped back so she could speak.

     "My my. There's a lot going on with the CCG these days isn't there?" Her high pitched voice rang. "Fortunately, they are not our concern today"
     "Then what is?" Ayato asked, he was never really in the mood for beating around the bush.
     The small ghoul giggled to herself before continuing. "Oh well aren't you eager?" She teased, but her tone soon died down as she got to the point. "Well, there's been rumors of a one-eyed near by."  She explained. Ayato watched as she turned towards (y/n). "Correct?" Eto asked her.
     The girl nodded, "from what I've heard, he's housed in the 20th ward" she said.
     Ayato scoffed to himself as the girl answered. It was almost funny to him how official she tried to sound. "Why do you care about some freak?" He asked, annoyed. This whole meeting seemed pointless.
     "I have reasons to suspect that this ghoul is in direct relation to Rize Kamishiro." Eto replied quickly. She tilted her head to see ayato's reaction, and seemed satisfied when he shut his mouth to pay attention.
     She continued, "So~ I want you to bring him here." She said simply.
     "We're recruiting him?" (Y/n) asked.
     "Possibly~" Eto grinned. "Either way, a ghoul like him shouldn't be free to reek havoc in Tokyo. He'll ruin our vision if he isn't dealt with" she explained. After a moment she made sure the others understood, and then stepped back giving Tatara a nod. The tall man looked out to the ghouls in front of him and spoke up.
     "You three will head to the 20th ward. Find the ghoul, and bring it back to Aogiri." He explained, looking to the three executives. "You have permission to do whatever is necessary to apprehend the ghoul. You may take a few associates along with you if need be"

      The subordinate explained a couple more things before finally dismissing the group. The mission was set to take place in a few days and Ayato would lead. The ghouls walked out one by one, Ayato was last.
As the teen exited the room he was stopped by someone. He looked up from the ground, and sighed finding none other than (y/n) in front of him.
"What's your problem?" The girl asked suddenly.
He glared at her, "the hell are you talking about??" He hissed.
"I've caught you staring at me eight times in the past three days" she accused, "and every time, it looks like you're trying to kill me with your mind."
     "So?" The boy scoffed.
     "So, you mind filling me in on whatever your problem with me is?" (y/n) said, an annoyed attitude lacing her voice.
     The Blue haired ghoul glared at her before replying, "yes. I do" he replied. He took a step forwards to leave but the girl blocked his path. He could see frustration in her eyes and it only made him mad.
     Suddenly, another ghoul made himself present, slamming his fist against the wall above the two. They immediately stepped back. Their backs pressed against the wall to make room; they looked up to see Oomori standing above them.
     "You two better quit your bickering before I have to teach you a lesson" he growled, letting a menacing grin out afterwards.
     "Stay out of this" Ayato snapped as he shot him a glare.
     The tall ghoul scoffed before standing up straight. "Alright, tough guy" he mocked and began to leave. "But if either of you end up ruining this mission, you'll be sorry. We've had enough failures recently" he threatened.
     Ayato clenched his fists, and realized that it wasn't the wall he was touching. He looked down, and he immediately ripped his hand away from above (y/n)'s. She looked up to the boy with a glare.
"Yeah Kirishima. You better keep this mission straight since you're leading again. Wouldn't want another failure under your name" she mocked.
"Just. Stay out of my way" the blue haired ghoul scolded, pushing her aside to walk past. How dare she talk to him like that? He had never even seen her fight before, let alone lead a squad. She had no right to judge him; she was only doing it to irritate him. And it worked.