Chapter 4

Ayato trudged down the halls with his hands in his pockets. It was late and he was tired from the day, but unfortunately he had a meeting to go to. He wouldn't be able to relax any time soon.
He made his way down the hall and entered the meeting room. He was a tad late but it was only a regulatory meeting, nothing important would be happening at the moment.
The others paid no mind to the teen as he walked in and leaned himself against the wall, a similar look of annoyance etched onto his face. His eyes motioned around the room unconsciously taking note of everyone there, and he noticed that only one person was absent. (Y/n). Ayato sighed. He hadn't seen the girl in a few days, and although he despised her the fact that she wasn't there made him angry.
Where had she been? She never missed meetings, in fact her unwanted attendance was one of the reasons Ayato had grown annoyed of her. He had always disliked having to be near her, but now that he couldn't seem to find her he was growing even more irritated. Although he saw no use for her being at the meetings, she didn't have the right to be skipping either.

Ayato waited as the others spoke and eventually the grueling meeting came to an end. The executives were dismissed from the gathering; a sigh of relief escaped the boy's lips, and he pushed himself up from the wall and left with the others.
He exited the room, night had begun to cover the sky. The boy walked through the halls, peering outside to see if the ghoul he hated was there relaxing, but she wasn't. What on earth was she doing? He made his way up to the 27th floor and counted the doors, finding the one that belonged to (y/n). Ayato had had enough of her incompetence, he banged on the door ready to hear what sorry excuse she would have for ditching work.
A moment passed without answer, and the frustrated ghoul sighed and decided to push the door open, stepping in.
"(Y/n)." He growled, looking around the room for the elusive girl. He furrowed his brows finding that she wasn't there. After a brief moment he walked around her area, searching, before arriving at the bathroom. The door was cracked, he could hear that someone was inside. It had to be her.
"(Y/n), where the hell have you been??" He scolded. He pushed forwards and flung the door open, standing in the doorway.

The girl was sat on the floor, what looked like medical supplies were scattered around the small room. It looked as if they were bloodied, the boy squinted down to her in confusion. She hadn't even acknowledged him. It took Ayato a moment, but he realized that the girl had a band on her abdomen, blood seeping between her fingers. The cuts on her arms from when she guarded herself were still prominent. His eyes widened in realization, but he also grew confused. Maybe even concerned. She was seriously still hurt after all this time?

"Christ, (y/n).." Ayato huffed, somewhat dropping his angered stance. He walked towards the girl and hesitantly grabbed her from beneath her arms, lifting her off the bathroom floor with an annoyed expression.
"Agh- ow.." the girl groaned as Ayato sat her on the bathroom counter. She opened her eyes slightly and looked down to him, somewhat surprised to see Ayato of all people. She watched as he gave her wound a quick glance before he looked through the things she had scattered out around the room.
"What are you doing here..?" (Y/n) asked tiredly. "I'm having trouble thinking it was to come check on me.."
"It wasn't" the boy said with a scoff, "I came to yell at you for missing work three days in a row"
He walked back over to her with a roll of bandages in his hands, looking up to her for a moment. The girl glared down at him for his remark, and he rolled his eyes at the sight of hers. The sight of her kakugan made him click his tongue in annoyance.
He sighed and unraveled the bandages in his hands. "I guess I'll give you a pass though.. since you're such and idiot" he added.
"Oh how nice of you" she said sarcastically.
Ayato ignored her, and started to wrap the bandages around her waist for her.
"Ow-shhhh-" (y/n) grimaced, trying her hardest to keep her profanity down as sudden pain surged through her abdomen.
"Quit, squirming" Ayato groaned, as he fumbled to tighten the bandages around her waist. The girl bit her lip, whimpering to herself in defeated pain.
"God, you're whiny" the boy complained.
"Well you're hurting me" (Y/n) argued.
Ayato scoffed and continued with the girl's bandages. "Just be grateful I'm even doing this" he demanded. "I could've left you bleeding on the floor"
(Y/n) sighed. "Yeah, but you're also the reason I was in this mess to begin with..." she muttered.
"Do you want me to stop??" He asked with an annoyed tone.
The girl looked away slightly and sighed. "..no"
"Alright, then shut your mouth" he huffed, tying the end of her bandages.

~

After he finished Ayato reluctantly helped the girl out to her room, not bothering to be gentle as he practically carried her to bed. She bit down on her lip and stayed silent for the most part, and for once the boy couldn't blame her. He didn't have too much to say either.
He set her down and watched as she held her arm over her stomach. She moved her tired gaze up to him, and he realized her kakugan had not faded with her pain. Soon the realization hit him... She hadn't eaten, no wonder she hadn't healed.
A feeling of annoyance came over him but so did a sense of responsibility. It irritated him. He shouldn't be feeling bad for her. She wasn't worth it, yet here he was. After a moment Ayato huffed, shaking his head. He turned on his heel, leaving the girl before anything could be said between them. He didn't want to have to deal with her any longer. He could already feel himself regretting his future decisions.