Chapter 14

The loud clashing of metal filled the air. The scent of blood, and feel of the pouring rain. (Y/n) ran through the streets, nearly tripping on her own feet as she practically dragged the smaller ghoul along behind her.
"(Y/n)! Wait- I can't!" She yelled, yanking on the older girl's arm to stop her.
     (Y/n) stopped with a grunt and looked down to the young girl. "It's okay, it's okay" she cooed, she cupped the little girl's cheeks in her hands to try and calm her.
     "Where are they??" She asked frantically.
     (Y/n) sighed looking around. "I don't know.." she said. She looked back to the young girl and frowned at her upset face. "Hey hey, don't worry. We're fine" she said.
"I'm scared"
"I know you are" (y/n) replied softly. She was scared too but she wouldn't show it for the sake of the younger ghoul. "But we need to keep going, okay? I'll watch out for us"
"You'll keep me safe right? You'll protect us?" the girl begged, the rain covering her scared tears.
"Of course.."
"Promise??"
"I promise."

~

(Y/n) jolted awake at what sounded like an earthquake erupting in her room. She panted and looked around, realizing it was coming from a familiar banging on the door.
"(Y/n) wake your ass up, we have a meeting in five minutes..!" Ayato scolded from outside.
(Y/n) groaned, sitting up. She shook away the tense feeling from whatever dream she was having and got out of bed. It had been a while since the last mission so of course a meeting was scheduled, but the girl somehow managed forget about it and sleep in.
     "Alright, I'm up, thanks!" She yelled back to the ghoul. Her voice wasn't exactly kind since she was tired.
     The girl hurried to throw on some fresh clothing and get ready for the day. She pulled on a jacket and walked towards the door quickly. She opened it, and stopped as she saw ayato waiting on the other side.
     "Finally" the teen scoffed. "You know we're not supposed to be late to things like this"
     (Y/n) rolled her eyes at him. "Oh don't act so happy to see me" she retorted.

Ayato huffed and began walking to the meeting room, the girl followed behind his swift pace. "Come on, we're going to be late" he scolded.
"If we're going to be late then why did you even wait for me?" (Y/n) asked bluntly.
"Because, I-" Ayato started, but quickly his words cut out. He actually didn't know why he had bothered to wait for her. He just did it. "Ugh, who cares? Just- hurry up" he growled, and walked faster to get to their destination.

The two hurried to the meeting room, and stepped inside as quickly and quietly as possible. They were late, but they hoped they were wouldn't be noticed.
     "You two are late" Tatara called the moment they opened the door.
Ayato rolled his eyes, 'well that hope just flew out the window.'
He looked around the meeting room irritatedly, but quickly dropped the attitude when he realized that Noro was the only other ghoul inside.
"Where's everyone else?" (Y/n) asked. Her tone was more professional but ayato knew she was just as confused as he was.
"This is it" Tatara explained. "Our next outing is executive-only. The only participants are you three and myself"
     Ayato and (y/n) exchanged glances before the boy looked up.
"Alright" he shrugged, "so what's the job?"
     "Well, it's been pretty obvious that Aogiri is starting to catch the CCG's eye." Tatara replied, "according to the information you and (y/n) picked up, the Doves are herding several of their ranks into the 11th ward. We need to assure them that we are not some organization that they can just step on. So we will be targeting the main CCG headquarters here in the 11th ward to do so."
     "What's our motive?" (Y/n) asked. Usually the missions were for retrieval of information, or to destroy supplies and research the CCG had stocked up. It was a weird idea for them to go just to attack the investigators.
"We are going to state our dominance. Anything we gain from this mission will be of use but the only main objective is the complete destruction of the 11th ward facility" the man clarified. He waited for a moment to let the three take in their orders, and then slowly turned to (y/n). He looked down to her coldly, but for a brief moment his eyes showed something else.