Chapter 9

Lyla

I close the door behind me, leaving Shawn out in the hallway, then lean my back against it. I close my eyes and I can feel the huge smile plastered on my face. I could probably jump up and down with the giddiness I feel right now. When I open my eyes I'm startled when I realize Megan is sitting at the small kitchen table we have, watching me with an amused look on her face.

"Hey," I squeak out as I try to act nonchalant.

"What's got you coming home so late with that smile on your face?" she asks, getting right to the point. So much for my attempt at a poker face.

"You know that I went to the hockey game tonight," I explain, hoping she won't push the topic farther. I'm all for girl talk, but I don't really know Megan that well yet. And on top of that, I still have no idea what's going on with me and Shawn to even try to explain it to someone.

"The game was over like two hours ago," she challenges me as she stares me down. She's intimidating but in a friendly non-threatening way.

"I went out with Shawn for dinner after." I watch her jaw drop at my statement.

"Shawn Nolton?" She asks and I nod my head at her. "Wow, I'm impressed." She smiles at me as her eyebrows raise.

"Impressed?" I ask for clarification.

"Shawn is probably the most sought after guy on campus right now. Every girl has pretty much thrown themselves at him since his break up with Erica, but he shoots all of them down." I can't help but find this news intriguing and reassuring that our connection isn't just some game to him.

"We're going out again tomorrow night," I admit smugly with a small smile.

"Get it girl, you wasted no time!" I laugh at her comment as I shake my head and head to my bedroom, closing the door behind me. I change into pajamas as I daydream about kissing Shawn again. When I'm changed I slide under my cover and lay back in bed. I reach for my phone to set an alarm and see a text from Shawn.

S: Despite my attitude trying to ruin tonight, it ended better than I could have expected. I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Sweet dreams Lyla.

I smile down at the screen in my hands as I type back a reply.

L: I'm sure you'll be on your best behavior tomorrow :P I had a great time too. Talk to you in the morning, goodnight Shawn.

I set my alarm for eight o'clock, doing the quick math that I'll get about eight hours of sleep if I pass out soon. I set my phone on my desk and roll over onto my side.

The sound of my phone chiming away wakes me up and I force myself to sit up in bed before I fall back asleep. I begrudgingly get out from under the warm embrace of my comforter and start to move about my room. I get dressed into some workout clothes so I can head out for a run. I lace up my runners and head into the kitchen area where I move about the room as silently as possible, not wanting to wake up Megan. I find my headphones and arm band that I use before I head out into the hallway and softly close my door behind me.

As I step outside, I glance around and see a few other students running, walking, and sitting in the grass studying. I pop my headphones into my ears and scroll through my music to my running playlist. Once the music starts to pour into my ears I feel motivated for my run. I stretch a bit and warm up my legs before I take off in stride. I decide to run around campus and not stray off into town today. I eye the names of the buildings I pass, noting a few new areas I haven't explored yet.