Chapter 22

Shawn

The next few hours I have to spare before heading to the arena fly by and I find myself already sitting on the bus with my gear loaded below. I was one of the first guys here so I grab a window seat in the middle and put my headphones in listening to some music. I send Lyla a text while I wait.

S: How are the assignments going?

L: 2 down, 2 to go :) are you on the bus yet?

S: Way to work. Yup, just listening to some music waiting for the rest of the guys to show up.

L: I was listening to this song today and it reminded me of you. I know you're not a country music fan, but I think you might like it.

I smirk at the text and she sends me the link to a song called 'Halfway Home' by someone named Jess Moskaluke. She sends another text along with it.

L: I'm going to get back to work here, but let me know when you make it to the arena, I want to wish you good luck before the game.

S: I will, thanks!

I open the link to the song and listen to it all the way through, enjoying the beat. It's quicker than some country songs I've heard before. As I listen to the lyrics I can understand why it made Lyla think of me because it's hitting the nail on the head with how I feel about her too. I smirk at the thought of her laying on her bed listening to this song and thinking about me. When the song ends, I start it over and listen to it one more time as the bus fills and we are soon pulling out of the parking lot. I fall asleep at some point on the drive and I'm nudged awake by one of the guys as I see everyone filing off the bus. I grab my gear and follow everyone as we head inside and to the visitors dressing room. We all warm up in the hallway together before we return to the dressing room and start to get dressed for the game.

I'm down to my boxers and pulling on my jock when a I hear Fuller from beside me, "Holy shit man, were you wrestling with a tiger?" He laughs and when I look at him he gestures to my back and the scratch marks from Lyla. I chuckle at his astonished facial expression.

"No bud," I reply hoping he'll drop the subject and he does as he turns back to continue getting dressed. But, I hear someone else open their mouth apparently feeling the need to comment.

"Looks like Lyla's got some claws on her," I hear Tyler remark from across the room as he laughs along with a few other guys at his comment.

"Shut the fuck up Ty," I warn him and his laughs subside as he uses his elbow to nudge Smith who is sitting next to him. Tyler leans over to whisper something to him and I see Smith burst out laughing and shake his head at him. I ignore them and try to not think about what comment was made as I put my headphones back in and get focused. I remember I was supposed to let Lyla know when I arrived and I shoot her quick text. She replies quickly and I glance down at my phone.

L: Kick some ass tonight! I'll be cheering for you in my room!

S: Thanks beautiful. I won't be able to check my phone until after the game so have fun when you go out with Megan and be careful.

L: I will be, don't you worry about me.

I wish that were an option. I continue to listen to music until coach comes in and I remove my headphones as I listen to his pre-game pep talk before we head out to the ice.

I'm exhausted as I fall back onto the bench in the dressing room. The game ended up going into seventeen minutes of overtime before we scored to win it. I get undressed, shower and change trying to rush and get out this town as fast as possible. I already know I'll be getting back to Oakridge closer to two in the morning now. I grab my gear and head out to the bus when I find a seat and impatiently wait for the rest of the guys to hurry up so we can leave. I check my phone and see that it's almost eleven. I have a text from Lyla around eight thirty saying her and Megan were going out with a few friends for food then going to head to the party afterwards. I reply letting her know that we won and I am just waiting on the bus for the rest of the guys now. As the minutes tick by that I'm waiting for the bus to fill up I don't get any reply from Lyla and my message sits unread. Finally, at eleven fifteen and the bus is loaded as we leave. I put my headphones back in and listen to my music as the drive passes by.