Chapter 37

Lyla

I wake up and feel hot. I can feel Shawn's body pressed against me and his arm draped across my stomach before my eyes flutter open. Shawn is still asleep, his long eyelashes resting against the skin under his eye. Why is it that boys always have the longest eyelashes? I watch him for a few minutes before I carefully slide out from under his arm, managing not to wake him as I tiptoe to the washroom, grabbing my phone as I leave the room. It's ten forty as I glance down at my phone. I have a text from Megan checking in with me from last night after we left the party. I reply letting her know that I'm okay and still at Shawn's. I don't get a reply while I'm in the washroom and figure she's probably still asleep.

Shawn is still sound asleep when I return to the room, his face is relaxed and peaceful as it rests against the pillow. I slide back into bed beside him, managing not to wake him as I snuggle back into him. I'm not sleepy but I'm also not done with cuddling him. I don't think I could ever really be done. Most times I have to pry myself away and fight my whole body yearning to return to its spot next to him. Today, it's an urge I won't try to resist.

His arm drapes back over me and he stirs slightly but his eyes don't open. After the weekend we've had, moments like this are what I crave. Never did it cross my mind that we would actually run into Connor again yesterday. When I noticed Shawn wasn't standing by the keg anymore last night I had thought it was odd as he hadn't left my side all night. Even if he was running to the washroom he always stopped in and let me know first. I had hopped off the kitchen counter and let Megan know I was just going to peak into the next room. When I did finally get a glimpse into the room, I froze in my spot. There was the scene unfolding right in front of me that I had been doing everything in my power to avoid.

Shawn and Connor were facing one another, their faces only a few inches away. I could see both their profiles and Shawn's face was full of something I had never seen before. I had seen him angry and I had seen him upset. But this was more than that, it was an animalistic rage. The look frightened me more then I wanted to admit. I noticed that his fists were clenched tightly at his side and I could see his knuckles turning white from where I stood. I glanced at Connor to see that he had an entitled smug grin on his face as he stared right back at Shawn.

I knew I needed to get to Shawn before he got pulled into one of Connors games, I beelined straight for him. I honestly hadn't noticed Erica standing behind him until I was reaching out to grab his arm. I wrapped both my hands around his arm and called his name out. I could feel his strained muscles under my hands as I watched the exchange between him and Connor play out for what seemed like minutes when it was probably thirty seconds tops. I didn't dare make eye contact with Connor, but I could feel his eyes on me numerous times. I kept my eyes locked on Shawn's face, hoping to see any flicker of him recognizing my pleas to leave.

My mind ran wild with potential outcomes if they did fight. I know Shawn is tough, but Connor probably had about forty to fifty pounds of weight on him as he was more bulky. I didn't want to imagine who would actually win in a fight. Shawn would definitely lose his scholarship once word got around, even if he somehow managed to walk away unscathed. I also wouldn't put it past Connor to press charges or try to stir up more shit afterwards, maybe even coming after him again. The thought made me sick to my stomach thinking about Shawn hurt. I knew Connor had no issues getting physical with a girl, so there would be nothing to hold him back if him and Shawn got into it.

When I called out Shawn's name again I saw something in his eyes finally snap as I pulled on his arm again and his feet finally moved from their spot. I moved quickly as I pulled him through the crowd, not wanting to lose him again. I heard Connor's remark call out from behind us but I ignored it and pushed forward, my hands digging into Shawn's arm. I didn't stop until we were a few houses away, hoping the distance would be far enough that Shawn wouldn't think about running back inside.